Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Noobie - Adjusting Mechanical disk brakes, brake lever is loose
Can anyone help me fix a mountain bike I just bought? I'm having trouble getting the front brakes to work (mechanical disk brakes) and first thing is when I loosen up the caliper bolts the brake still doesn't work, and the cable leading from the brake lever to the actual caliper is very loose, pics included, does anyone have any idea what to do?

So sorry if this is something incredibly simple to fix or if I'm wasting time ahaha.
Oh also, the wire leading from the front brake lever actually runs past the wheel which causes it to brush against it which I think could potentially cause problems, will I have to rewire it?
For starters, let's get it assembled correctly. Your fork is on backwards. The arch goes to the front with the caliper and rotor on the left. You'll need to loosen the stem to do this.
Once that's done, snap a pic of the cable attachment at the caliper and post back!
Wheelies don't pop themselves. (from a QBP fortune cookie)
(07-07-2012, 11:26 AM)RobAR Wrote:  For starters, let's get it assembled correctly. Your fork is on backwards. The arch goes to the front with the caliper and rotor on the left. You'll need to loosen the stem to do this.
Once that's done, snap a pic of the cable attachment at the caliper and post back!

Apologies but how do I swap the forks position? It looks welded on. Also I managed to sort out the brake wire's position but it is still loose.
Since you just bought it, take it back and have them do the reassembly properly. This should not be your problem to fix.
(07-07-2012, 12:22 PM)RBurrelli Wrote:  Since you just bought it, take it back and have them do the reassembly properly. This should not be your problem to fix.

It came in parts, the fork and brake lever were already fitted however, should I still take it back?
Forgot to add thanks for all the input so far!
Bikes are shipped with forks backwards to meet shipping regulations (smaller box). Loosen the stem (the part that holds the bar) at either the steerer tube bolt(s) or there may be a bolt on the top. Turn the fork around and retighten.
Boss - chk this out ... http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_ha-i.html#headset ... scroll about halfway down the page to 'Headsets' and tell us which yours looks like.
(07-07-2012, 08:17 PM)RobAR Wrote:  Boss - chk this out ... http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_ha-i.html#headset ... scroll about halfway down the page to 'Headsets' and tell us which yours looks like.

Ahh thank you for all your help, I actually ended up taking it to a local shop and they managed to fix it for me free of charge, they said the front brake was manufactured incorrectly and the whole thing had to be re-fitted, thank you again though!

Possibly Related Threads...