Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Wally World Mongoose 29er
Its 80 bucks on Craigslist. Disk brakes junk front shock lousy shifters
Decent tires. Good candidate for upgrading and tinkering?
start buy pricing stuff like tires and shocks, shifters, you may be better off looking for a runner unless its about tinkering.
the money you put in you may not get out because to a potential buyer it will just be a Walmart bike
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
(07-31-2012, 09:05 PM)painkiller Wrote:  start buy pricing stuff like tires and shocks, shifters, you may be better off looking for a runner unless its about tinkering.
the money you put in you may not get out because to a potential buyer it will just be a Walmart bike

Its about tinkering. I'm turning 50 in nine months and that being said I work the flight line for a major US airline. I need to get in better shape. As a mechanic there its hardly anything that I own from cars to guns that I haven't tinkered with or customized myself. not really interested in reselling just interested in making it mine. Collecting parts and installing tweaking and as.I said before making it mine.

I know earrings on a pig but out will be my pig Wink
Well if it about hobbyizing yourself then go for it. Smile
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
sounds like a plan! let your wallet be your guide. I must admit I spend a bit of money here and there. My Forte' is Late 80s to mid 90s Bikes mid to upper end but work on most anything. And it is an income helper. When I refurbish a bike I am anal about the parts and strive to keep it of the same or higher quality and most importantly
"Of Era" these are my standards and my reputation in the business
the joy and passion are the kickers!
there are lots of great people here to help you along with your project so you came to the right place. I say go for it! when you get started post some pics and start buying some tools, you are going to need some!
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
(07-31-2012, 08:52 PM)Icemanxxxv Wrote:  Its 80 bucks on Craigslist. Disk brakes junk front shock lousy shifters
That's too much money. Spend a little more on CL & get something much better.
(08-03-2012, 10:35 AM)1FJEF Wrote:  
(07-31-2012, 08:52 PM)Icemanxxxv Wrote:  Its 80 bucks on Craigslist. Disk brakes junk front shock lousy shifters
That's too much money. Spend a little more on CL & get something much better.
To late already bought it. Bought a new seat for it a Serfas dual density much more comfortable.

It has Promax disk brakes but the calipers flex horribly and breaking suffers. The gearing is to low and needs changing for my riding environment. There is also an occasional clicking noise from the BB.
The front and rear derailleurs need adjusting and sometimes during shifting the rear derailleur the crank free wheels a half of revolution.
The front forks stick and are not smooth.
I believe it has a threadless bar riser and the bars are to low.

Now for the questions.
1. Can I get new calipers that I can upgrade to?
2. It has Shimano components is the rear gear set a cassette?
3. What can I do about the clicking and the chain slip?
4. I'm thinking about changing the forks to a solid fork. Recommendations?
5. Suggestions for raising the bars?
6. I need a more streetable tire more for street and hard pack tire?
lets see some pics of this to better help you
1. yes you can upgrade your disc setup but may or may not be worth it.

2. need a close up pic
3. dunno yet, hope the freewheel or hub is not bad
4. 5. if replacing the fork, this is the time to make critical changes to your stem extension, rise and stack before you cut your fork to short
6. many choices. for the money I like the Nashbar Elevator. It has a nice crown, firm tread blocks, smoothe on the street for a knobby. and can take you anywhere you need to go

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

05-20-2013, 05:41 AM
Last Post: hcjg1

10-10-2012, 08:09 AM
Last Post: Bill

10-06-2012, 10:25 PM
Last Post: RobAR