Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Can you tell what this CL bike is?
32spoke wheels. Looks tall with high bars, which my stubby arms need. I kind of recognize the seat tube to top tube gusset, but I can't place it. Looks like $300-$369 new (a fraction of that on CL) Comfort bike if it's a name brand. For some reason something looks askew to me in the top front fork?brake boss area.
[Image: 5I95G55H13Ka3Gf3I2c7u92026393d8451cd8.jpg]
[Image: 5N65Fa5Ha3K73M43Nbc7ued4ab9ddd6c71e78.jpg]
The rear tire has a flash of red in the label, maybe Vittoria or an older Specialized?
I guess I'm in trouble, over 90 views & no answer.
What does the head badge say? That would be the brand.
It looks like there is writing at the front of the top tube. What does it say? Might be the model.
Wheelies don't pop themselves. (from a QBP fortune cookie)
(08-11-2012, 07:47 AM)RobAR Wrote:  What does the head badge say? That would be the brand.
It looks like there is writing at the front of the top tube. What does it say? Might be the model.
Can't see it. Tried saving & running in a photo suite but there is too much grain. It looks cheap. Thought it might be a good "beater". The seat tube brace rings a bell, but I can't place it.
I might let it sit on CL for a while before I e-mail the owner.
The fuzzy head badge is in the shape of a late '90s Trek and the hydroformed downtube is a ringer except for that gusset at Top-Seat tube junction.
Did you call? We are curious. Hurry up!
(08-14-2012, 08:47 AM)RobAR Wrote:  except for that gusset at Top-Seat tube junction.
Did you call? We are curious. Hurry up!
Yeah, I know I've seen that gusset, I just can't place it. I'm going to let it stew for as long as possible, I'm going to have to put some money into it, so I want it cheap or not at all. That rear wheel has gotta go, my fat arse will taco that 32 spoke generic thing in a month! I like the long wheelbase, see the gap between the seat tube & rear wheel? Nice long chainstays so panniers or baskets don't get smacked by your heels when pedaling.
I might get lucky and find the frame reasonably light, the chainrings are probably riveted, but I've got enough spare parts to get derailleurs/shifters/brakes/chains/cables/tires etc.... squared away no problem.
Sometimes you find something nice on CL, my last Specialized was only $120 & had a nice light frame, no major issues.
see the gap between the seat tube & rear wheel?

HaHaa Jef - you said it; not me.

I am thinking Iron Horse had that famous gusette but I am probabaly wrong. It is too familiar, though. We should all know that one!
I think Giant gussetted smaller Cro-Mo frames in mid - late 90's? Giant is the largest bike mfr in the world and they made my Trek! Very cool.
[Image: DSCN5187.jpg]

Spot the gusset.

This is a Carrera Subway, a brand made for and sold exclusively in Halfords here in the UK. The carrera brand are generally fairly low cost. They're OK for what they are, certainly better than the super cheap Wally World bikes, but nothing special.

These frames are made in the far east to the design and specification of "own brands" like Halfords/Carrera and will be badged up according to who they're making them for.

The bike in your picture may well be another "made for a department" store type. The equipment is all fairly entry level stuff, no-name stem, seatpost, saddle, SR Suntour chainset, steel legged suspension forks, twist grips etc. Probably all perfectly serviceable, but a bit heavy. I'd be surprised if the bike weighs much under 30lbs.

I reckon it will be OK for popping to the shops and stuff, but not so good for longer rides where the weight, big squidgy saddle and upright riding position might not be ideal.
(08-14-2012, 11:33 AM)xerxes Wrote:  a bit heavy. I'd be surprised if the bike weighs much under 30lbs.

I reckon it will be OK for popping to the shops and stuff, but not so good for longer rides where the weight, big squidgy saddle and upright riding position might not be ideal.
Thanks for the info. I need the upright riding position (nasty surgery).
It looks sorta kinda like one of these cheapies, just no schwinn decal
[Image: 5I25Ha5J53G43M43Hfc8796d3aee63328124a.jpg]
[Image: 5N65Fa5Ha3K73M43Nbc7ued4ab9ddd6c71e78.jpg]