Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

My Mongoose Needs New shoes!
I ride mostly on pavement and hard pack park trails(mostly Gravel). The bike is a 29'r so it has 700c wheels. the rims don't appear that wide and I don't have a width measurement on the rims. They do have a 700c lable on the inside. I'm looking for a tire that would fir my needs. Any suggestions?
(08-18-2012, 10:43 PM)Icemanxxxv Wrote:  I ride mostly on pavement and hard pack park trails(mostly Gravel). The bike is a 29'r so it has 700c wheels. the rims don't appear that wide and I don't have a width measurement on the rims. They do have a 700c lable on the inside. I'm looking for a tire that would fir my needs. Any suggestions?
How about these?
http://www.schwalbetires.com/node/413
http://www.amazon.com/Kenda-Happy-Medium-Cyclocross-700x35mm/dp/B005GKX2DG/

I think that you'd be happier with something like the above - a Cyclocross tire in the 32-35mm width range.

The narrower tire with the smooth center will give you more speed and responsiveness on pavement and hardpack, while the blocks on the outside of the tread will give you the traction in the gravel (and sand). You may want to consider and Cyclocross up front and a slick in back.
Nigel
Actually, the analyses I saw on rolling resistance surprisingly showed that tyres with smooth centres do not roll faster on any (non-ideal) surface. Rolling resistance depends primarily on the material of the tyre. In the case I know, Schwalbe's Marathon were slower than their "Racing Ralph", a knobby MTB tyre, both on very rough surface and on pavement. Also the knobby sides of otherwise slick tyres can be dangerous in corners as the behaviour drastically changes as soon as the tread meets the pavement when leaning over.

But Nigel is in principle right. I'd also recommend cyclocross (or somesuch) tyres for everyday use unless you exclusively ride on pavement. I have no experience with Kenda, but I have Schwalbe CX-Pro on my cyclocross and Racing Ralph on my tourer. Both are relatively lightweight and surprisingly sturdy. It makes sense to have a more aggressive tread pattern in the front, as this is where you need lots of traction. If the front tyre wipes out: down you go! I ride a studded front tyre on my cyclocross in winter (it will not fit in the rear, frame is too narrow), it is good enough even on ice (though you have to be careful when accelerating out of corners, the non-studded rear tends to try and pass you).
I ended up buying the Land Cruiser tire. The center continous rib looks as if it will be quiet and smooth on pavement yet provide descent traction for my trail riding. Plus the fact it was $12.95 each on closeout. Plus two new tubes. Got the whole shooting match delivered for a shade over $52.00. I'll let you all know how it turns out. Should have them on by weeks end.
(08-20-2012, 08:41 AM)Icemanxxxv Wrote:  I ended up buying the Land Cruiser tire. The center continous rib looks as if it will be quiet and smooth on pavement yet provide descent traction for my trail riding. Plus the fact it was $12.95 each on closeout. Plus two new tubes. Got the whole shooting match delivered for a shade over $52.00. I'll let you all know how it turns out. Should have them on by weeks end.

Hey how did you like the Land Cruiser tire? I want to get them for cyclocross racing because slicks are not doing it in turns on wet grass.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

06-27-2017, 02:17 AM
Last Post: FixitTom

07-31-2013, 03:28 AM
Last Post: Joe_W

12-20-2011, 10:27 AM
Last Post: JohnV