Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

1973 Schwinn Crank
I am stripping bike down to be painted/cleaned. I was able to get the crank set off (big accomplishment for me). There remains a thin metal rim on both sides of the frame I would like to take off if possible. Does this come off? Was going to take frame in to get sandblasted if I can get everything off. Seems like I would need it off.
Thanks in advance.
Need a Picture please.
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
OK. Will try tonight. Imagine not too hard to post a pic.
I would imagine what you're looking at are the Bearing Cups if they're in the area where you removed the crankarm. They're a press fit and you should be able to just tap them out from the opposite side.
Wheelies don't pop themselves. (from a QBP fortune cookie)
(08-23-2012, 05:59 PM)RobAR Wrote:  I would imagine what you're looking at are the Bearing Cups if they're in the area where you removed the crankarm. They're a press fit and you should be able to just tap them out from the opposite side.

[attachment=3443]seems stuck on there pretty good. use a flat head screw driver from the other side and rubber mallet?
Another way I remove those is take a dial rod, put it through one so it is against the inner side and tap on the dial rod with you rubber mallet all the way around until it "pops" out. Then do the same for the other one.
Putting new ones on is a different process which requires them to be pressed in. The tool to do this can be made or just bought. More inexpensive to make to which there is a thread right here in the forums... http://forums.bikeride.com/thread-922.html . There are other ways to make them too just search the web by typing in "bearing cup press".
Now the how to I will let a few give their opinion and experiences they may be better then my approach Wink.
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
You can use an old screwdriver to drift those out with a mallet or hammer.

When you re-assemble the bike, do you plan on keeping the original cranks/chainset?

If you do, ideally you should use a to press to fit the new bearing cups, as Bill suggested. However, you can use a pieced of scrap wood and a hammer to drift the new bearing cups back in. A press is best, but I've fitted dozens of headsets over the years with a hammer and a piece of scrap wood, without any problems, just work around the bearing to keep it straight and go gently.

If you fancy a new chainset when you put the bicycle back together, you could use one of these: http://harriscyclery.net/product/truvativ-bottom-bracket-conversion-american-to-euro-adapter-1335.htm which will allow you to fit a three piece crankset and an English threaded, cartridge bottom bracket.
No idea what a dial rod is Bill.

Since you are stripping the frame, you can use heat around the outside and than tap them out with a drift pin or like.You will most likely need to replace them, or convert to a sealed Bottom bracket. Although if it was a one piece crank you would need to change that too. Otherwise if smooth mask well and than strip the paint. You may want to consider a chemical stripper they work great on metal.
Never Give Up!!!
It's a rounded piece of wood! Lol
(08-24-2012, 12:16 AM)Bill Wrote:  It's a rounded piece of wood! Lol

Piece of wood would not drive out the pressed in cup.You would be making splinters. I call that a dowel. Like I said a steel drift pin or something like that.
Never Give Up!!!
Guess my spell checking accepted that lol. So dowel rod it is Smile . I used one before George successfully, now it is possible the cups were not in very well.
If one wants to go real cheap just use an old seat post which is made of steel not the aluminum ones.
They popped out with a screw driver and a mallet. One actually flew out of garage, rolled down driveway and went into some bushes. Found it. Used the same method to get similar pieces off of the headset. I am just stuck with the kickstand (built in). I posted elsewhere, but any idea how to get it off? Do I really need to send away for a special tool?

I do not plan to replace the chainset etc. I want to keep as much original as I can. I have several modern bikes that suit me well. This is to show off at pint nite rides.
Was just at the other threads and hope the advice helps Wink . Glad you got the cups off.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

01-06-2013, 01:50 PM
Last Post: JoeFaz