Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Good inexpensive pads
I bought a new Raleigh comfort bike this past summer. I read in the reviews it come with Tektro brakes and that are notorious for chattering. I didn't have any problems other then occasionally a quack when wet. Well after the last trip to the bike shop trying to get those levers sorted out now the front brake squeals loud every time I use it.
So I'm thinking I will just replace the pads. I don't need anything Fancy, Just want to stop quietly. Any suggestions? I,m leaning toward just picking up a set of Bell pads from Walmart. Ive used them before with out complaints but if I get a better suggestion for a reasonable price set I will try.
I watched myself crawlin' out as I was a-crawlin' in
Some of my bicycles
My Schwinns
Al, get a set of Kool Stop Salmon pads - you will not regret it.

Your symptoms sound more like the pads are not toed in a bit. The pads on the Tektro brakes I have are really good, as are the OEM Avid. The OEM Origin 8 are not so good. The Bell brand ones were so-so at best, and the hardware was not as easy to use.
Nigel
I thought about that. Will look tomorrow when I install my new levers. One of the brake arms is a little sticky so I will be looking into that also; I also thought maybe something got spilled on them.
I watched myself crawlin' out as I was a-crawlin' in
Some of my bicycles
My Schwinns
Sorry to "brake" in lol. Are Kool Stop salmon pads still a good pad? Also is Shimano's pads a pretty good brand or just paying for the name?
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
Shimano ????

get a set of Kool Stop Salmon pads - you will not regret it.
Nigel
Cheap option - clean your rims with rubbing alcohol and sand the surface of the brake pads with some fine sandpaper.

Next check to see if your pads are toed in a little, that cures most squealing.

If you're going to buy new pads, spend a few bucks and get good ones. They will make a difference and brakes aren't really a place to scrimp.
Thank you for good advice guys. I do have a really good question though. Now per say if I did sand my brake pads would the particles of sand embed themselves into the rubber and possibly scratch up and wear down the wall of the rim faster?
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
I would say no chance on that Bill, the idea behind it is to freshen up the surface a bit. If you still have a shadow of a doubt, use a closed coat type disk or paper, or even a fine metal file
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
(10-12-2012, 05:41 PM)Bill Wrote:  would the particles of sand embed themselves into the rubber

No. I've never seen this happen and I've sanded lots of pads. It will just take the hard glazed surface off the pad and get down to fresh rubber. Usually improves brakes and can help remove squeaks. Note that the glaze can come back pretty quick though, especially if your rims are dirty.
Thanks guys !! Smile. That's cool to know as some people like myself wandered if there was a way to get a little more mileage out of those still full pads! Would 1000 grit be a good sand paper?
what ever you have in the drawer Bill, 1000 to fine for my taste. I prefer more like 80 grit to 200 as the finest. I lay the paper on a flat surface then take the pad and move it back and forth a few times, it does not take much and good to go.
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
(10-12-2012, 11:37 PM)painkiller Wrote:  what ever you have in the drawer Bill, 1000 to fine for my taste. I prefer more like 80 grit to 200 as the finest. I lay the paper on a flat surface then take the pad and move it back and forth a few times, it does not take much and good to go.

Well I'll be! I thought the higher number was the finer grit?
the higher the number the finer the grit is correct Bill. I meant 200 grit is about as fine as I would use and prefer 80 grit or 100 grit. but the sidewalk would do in a pinch Smile
(10-13-2012, 01:08 AM)painkiller Wrote:  the higher the number the finer the grit is correct Bill. I meant 200 grit is about as fine as I would use and prefer 80 grit or 100 grit. but the sidewalk would do in a pinch Smile

Ohhh ok that makes sense, lol. I heard of people using a razor blade (which I don't agree with, to shave off the hardened part. To me I don't have that type of patience to try and get the surface in even cuts. If it works for them then I guess I am happy for em.
Again I thank you all for this tip.
Bill, Bill, Bill. What are we gonna do with you, you nut? Wink
If you want to make your pads nice and shiney... by all means use 1000 grit and wet sand them - followed by a few strokes with a Hard Arkansas whet stone and then strop them on a leather strap like an old-timey barber!
When you hear tell of people using a blade to refresh pads, it's that they are removing the 'lip' that forms on a pad that has been adjusted wrong and part of it misses the rims braking surface by diving under it.

AL_, did you get the squeal sorted out?
Wheelies don't pop themselves. (from a QBP fortune cookie)
10" power mitre saw with a 200 tooth plywood blade cuts pads well too Smile make sure not cut your fingers or anything else, and make sure that you don't launch any projectiles at high velocity Smile

Personally, I just get new pads.
Nigel
I do think that I do detect sarcasm in Nigels reply. Smile What would happen if we gave him a match and an oily rag??
Smart@$$3$ lmao that is very funny!!!!!!
(10-13-2012, 10:54 PM)Bill Wrote:  Smart@$$3$ lmao that is very funny!!!!!!
Here is an oily rag, Bill.
Nah I'll just immerse them into a bucket of high octane gas use that oily rag and match and cook them at 250 degree + for about as long as the fuel lasts burning then take my propane torch to see if I can custom fit the metal lmao!!!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

10-22-2012, 04:42 PM
Last Post: nfmisso

04-11-2010, 11:24 AM
Last Post: Joe_W

03-17-2010, 04:48 PM
Last Post: surreypete