Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Racer vs Mountain Bike
I have never cycled a racing bike and am used to my mountain bike with broad tires. If I can cycle 50 miles on the mountain bike, is there a rough equivalent to what I would be able to achieve on a racer? I know it depends on several factors such as road surface, tread pattern on tires etc.
I am no expert by far, but I am going to simply guess that if you ride that far on Mountainous terrain with MTB, you could probably ride 100+ miles with a Road bike?? Again just a guestimation because there is far less resistance, but always take in other factors too.
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
Only you can answer that, and only by actually doing it as there are no coversion tables and Way too many variables involved, as you noted. Not only will your fitness level (50 on a mtb is very good) play a role but, also the bikes themselves.
In general, you should see a marked improvement on a road bike vs the mountain bike. They typically have higher gear ratios, are lighter and, by the narrower profile - more aerodynamic.
If I just Had to venture a guess without knowing you or your equipment, I would say "easily 20% farther to start, or the same 50 miles in 10% less time. As you get more familiar with the road bike and it's handling charachteristics, both distance and time should improve dramatically.

Edit: Bill posted as I was typing, I guess. The way I read it was that your 50 miles of MTB was on pavement? If not, then you are B A D. 50 in one day off-road would rattle my teeth out and shake up my eyeballs so bad I couldn't see straight for a week! Smile
Wheelies don't pop themselves. (from a QBP fortune cookie)
Where you on or off-road and what tyres did you have on your MTB?

Also, what type of MTB was it? If it's a heavy downhill style MTB with front and rear suspension, it will be harder work than a road bike. However, if you have a nice, light XC style bike, or an older rigid frame and fork MTB, by the time you've fitted slick of semi-slick road friendly tyres there will be less difference to a road bike.
(09-03-2012, 12:23 PM)xerxes Wrote:  Where you on or off-road and what tyres did you have on your MTB?

Also, what type of MTB was it? If it's a heavy downhill style MTB with front and rear suspension, it will be harder work than a road bike. However, if you have a nice, light XC style bike, or an older rigid frame and fork MTB, by the time you've fitted slick of semi-slick road friendly tyres there will be less difference to a road bike.

I have 2 bikes. One is a hard tail with just front suspension. The other one which I can do 50 miles on has semi-slick tyres about 1 1/2 inches wide and weighs about 25 pounds.
At cruising speeds, racing might be a different matter, I doubt there's much difference between a road bike and a light mountain bike fitted with road tyres.
Rob was correct in my assumption. I was thinking that you rode totally off road for 50miles. So I really am not even a novice to figure these variables out.
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
(09-03-2012, 08:56 AM)RobAR Wrote:  The way I read it was that your 50 miles of MTB was on pavement? If not, then you are B A D. 50 in one day off-road would rattle my teeth out and shake up my eyeballs so bad I couldn't see straight for a week! Smile

With the condition of some of the roads here and the potholes and bad surfaces, I might as well be riding off roadSmile
Quote:With the condition of some of the roads here and the potholes and bad surfaces, I might as well be riding off roadSmile

Pretty much the same here, the fatter tyres are a definate benefit, I really don't miss those skinny 700x23c, 100psi road tyres. I have some Schwalbe Hurricane semi slicks on my MTB, they roll well on tarmac and I like the ability to get off the road and away from the traffic on the trails, canal paths and bridle ways, when the opportunity arises.