Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Chain fixing tool
I have been finding out some work in my spare time, so decided to make a chain fixing tool. In the past while removing chain links with punch & hammer, many chain links permenantly bent attempting removal of fit press pins. Got some idea from park tools & finally managed to make one tool to fix all types of chain. tried out on Shimano HG-53 chain & on one of old Raleigh chain with 1" pitch. Working perfect. The handle belongs to old broken DEWALT grinder. Rest of the stuff ofcourse from junk yard.
My best friend Mohan helped me doing all this.
Cyclostyle in style
Cool can you share the story?
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
(09-04-2012, 09:50 AM)Bill Wrote:  Cool can you share the story?

Hi Bill
Back on the forum after long time. The vice kind of thing is a really old broken aluminium alloy vice. welded onto that an SS nut with acceptable fine threads with an alloy rod. Presently I am on a offshore rig so finding welder & these junk things was not that tough.
Being on the rig also I keep thinking about my bikes....what should I call this? Is this heavy addiction or Should I see some psyche doctor?
Anyway, I was determined to make it on rig this time. Once pin is pushed out from other side there is a 6 mm hole out there from where it can be taken out. Don't make this hole any bigger or else whole link can bend (I did as experiement).
I don't know how much it costs on parktools.com but just thought of making one & it worked. Feeling like Sir Issac Newton..atleast for today..;-)
NB: The Dewalt handle is hollow inside. So just managed to get a 20mm plastic plug..All the drag pins can be stored into the hollow handle & use the plug as a cover...Isn't this fabulous...?? Here's another picture.
Cyclostyle in style
simply FANTASTIC build! You should feel great about yourself as home (well almost home) making tools is just like being an inventor! Using your resources is one of the best things you could do. Don't stop there, if you need to draw your ideas on paper first then talk to your resources for the make it happen part Big Grin. If you got a bike bug there is no need to see a doc or anything unless you need dome advice on one of your ideas Wink . Many (if not all) of us here are always a greatful audience to see anyone wanting to advance in bicycle advancement. Your invention is the most heavy duty chain tool I have seen whether in person or pictures on the internet!!!

Again GREAT JOB!!!
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
Atulkunte69. That is great!
Wheelies don't pop themselves. (from a QBP fortune cookie)
(09-04-2012, 02:09 PM)Bill Wrote:  simply FANTASTIC build! You should feel great about yourself as home (well almost home) making tools is just like being an inventor! Using your resources is one of the best things you could do. Don't stop there, if you need to draw your ideas on paper first then talk to your resources for the make it happen part Big Grin. If you got a bike bug there is no need to see a doc or anything unless you need dome advice on one of your ideas Wink . Many (if not all) of us here are always a greatful audience to see anyone wanting to advance in bicycle advancement. Your invention is the most heavy duty chain tool I have seen whether in person or pictures on the internet!!!

Again GREAT JOB!!!
Hey Bill..Thanks for giving some good tips & appreciation.
Cyclostyle in style

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

09-28-2021, 08:21 PM
Last Post: Criminal

04-29-2020, 10:40 AM
Last Post: CharleyFarley

03-18-2017, 09:35 PM