Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

This looks broken?
[attachment=3493]
1973 Schwinn. I assume this part is missing a piece? If so, what would be the easiest way to replace? If a lot of aggravation to get the original, not worth it. Thanks
It looks like part of the front derailleur cage is missing.

If you want to replace it, you need a bottom pull, or universal front derailleur and I'm guessing a 28.6mm clamp. You can get something like a Shimano Tourney for under $10.00 or you can get nicer ones for more money. You also need to know how many teeth on your outer chainring as some front derailleurs are for smaller "compact" chainsets, with a 44-46 tooth or fewer outer chainrings, others for larger chainrings.
Saw one on ebay that matches this one. Have to decide if I want to pay more for an old part or get a newer nicer one.
Ended up just getting one on ebay which looks like the exact one.
(09-10-2012, 11:20 AM)dochoot Wrote:  Ended up just getting one on ebay which looks like the exact one.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Cool, looks like you are servicing your Bottom Bracket too. On mine I just replaced it with a Shimano UN 54 sealed unit.
Never Give Up!!!
I looked up the Shimano UN 54 sealed unit part you mentioned. I am not entirely certain how I would use this. Is this something that typically needs to be replaced? Thanks. Reply can not be too basic.
(09-10-2012, 04:29 PM)dochoot Wrote:  I looked up the Shimano UN 54 sealed unit part you mentioned. I am not entirely certain how I would use this. Is this something that typically needs to be replaced? Thanks. Reply can not be too basic.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Since you have your crank out what did the parts in there look like? Are the cups that ball bearings ride in smooth and even? If so than you should replace the ball bearings (most likely 3/16) take a sample to bicycle store or a hardware store. Than reassemble with lots of grease. We like marine waterproof grease. For boat trailers etc.
Otherwise you can replace the entire assembly with a sealed unit, if you do not have the one piece crank but one where the arms and gears can be removed .

fish around on this site:

http://sheldonbrown.com/opc.html
Never Give Up!!!
Hi George,

I'm fairly certain the bike uses an old style one piece crank, like the one you linked to: http://sheldonbrown.com/opc.html, so you can't use cartridge style bearings like the Shimano UN 54 because the bearing shaft and crank arms are all one piece.

You can get adapters, like this: http://harriscyclery.net/product/truvativ-bottom-bracket-conversion-american-to-euro-adapter-1335.htm that allow you to use 3 piece cranks with the bigger bottom bracket shells originally designed for one piece cranks. However, in addition to the adapter you would obviously need the bottom bracket and a new chainset. You would also need to replace the pedals, because one piece cranks use 1/2 inch pedal threads, while pretty much everything else uses 9/16 inch threads. There are benefits in going to a 3 piece type cranks, better bearings, lighter chainsets and more pedal choice, but it's obviously quite expensive to replace all those parts.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post