Bicycle TutorBicycle Tutor

Show off your bike!

"Glue" bicycle handlebar grips

Related video tutorials:
jim Offline

"Glue" bicycle handlebar grips
question: has the formulation of white rain hairspray changed so it can no longer be used to "glue" bicycle handlebar grips? i've tried several times with varying levels of white rain to secure my handle grips to no avail. i've left the grips to dry for days. no go. this is not rocket science here.

at first, i thought that the hurricane that blew through town made the air too moist to harden. relevant?

i used to work on bikes and done this successfully many times on other folks' rides'. not mine. what am i doing wrong?

last thing tried: wiping the metal and grip w/ rubbing alcohol with the notion that some sort of lubricant (?) made it's way onto the grip. will it finally work? dunno.

is real life glue the way to go? i'm tired of the grips not holding, having to hold onto the brake bosses (they're bolted into place)

Attached File(s) Image(s)

Sep 11, 2011 10:51 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
painkiller Offline
Veteran Member

Peoria, IL. USA
RE: "Glue" bicycle handlebar grips
quite the picture Jim, welcome to biketutor. I use the same method as one would use to grip a golf club. It holds fast and is race ready for zero failure. however you cannot re-use the grip once applied.plenty of information on how to grip a golf club on the net.
I recommend buying lock-on style grips as they can be used over and over, I prefer the brand called BBB. Great grip for the money
Since your bio has not a location I do know your resources But as they say seek and ye shall find!

There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
Sep 11, 2011 01:04 PM
nfmisso Offline
Veteran Member

San Jose, CA
I used the cheapest pump hairspray we could find at the local CVS (ΒΌ mile away). Worked great.....but did get a bit a loose when soaked in a storm, but grip returned when dried out.

Nigel
Sep 11, 2011 06:11 PM
JohnV Offline

Tampa. FL
Try Ergon grips. They clamp on at the bar-ends and and are extremely comfortable. They make them for both grip and trigger shifters. I have a pair on my hybrid and I can't see riding without them. Nice part is you can change the position of the palm pad at any time without breaking any glue seal.

HCFR Cycling Team
Ride Safe...Ride Hard...Ride Giant
Sep 12, 2011 03:15 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
jim Offline

i didn't think the picture would be so big, sorry you all

i went ahead and used actual rubber glue to get the grips to stay put.

i used white rain in heavy amounts and light amounts. both sort of held a little at first, but nothing over the span of days.

perhaps it's just too humid in this town (richmond, va) for the hairspray to dry. i think glue will do, i (and we all) will see.

funny, it worked fine in wet, wet, wet key west, fla, but not in rva. maybe since the grips are not new, there was a problem, dunno
Sep 12, 2011 03:23 PM
jim Offline

well, glue works. the grips stay put, finally.

hey, what can i say? it's an old commuter and i'm poor. the blue is rocky squirrel.

Attached File(s) Image(s)

Sep 12, 2011 04:56 PM
dahut Offline

I like the cheap hairspray angle.
Sep 17, 2011 08:35 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Cruiser Handlebar Dimensions 1FJEF 6 1,138 Dec 15, 2013 03:13 PM
Last Post: 1FJEF
  Handlebar stem papaw1 5 1,961 Nov 18, 2013 08:25 AM
Last Post: RBurrelli
  Bike Grips ? ezrollin 2 1,158 Sep 29, 2013 04:40 PM
Last Post: ezrollin
  Removing grips Myosmith 18 13,826 Sep 9, 2013 02:12 PM
Last Post: painkiller
  Handlebar grips won't go small enough for handle bar. Futs 6 1,994 Jul 2, 2013 03:04 PM
Last Post: GeorgeET
  Handlebar is slipping capner2112 2 1,824 Jun 17, 2013 02:25 AM
Last Post: capner2112
  New Handlebar Rookie mistake Jeffrey Restrepo 14 6,311 Jun 11, 2013 06:06 PM
  Can't tighten loose handlebar Wheelacw32 5 5,139 Jun 9, 2013 04:14 PM
  New bike handlebar independence and thightness silistra 4 2,619 Jan 27, 2013 05:59 PM
Last Post: GeorgeET
  Looking to change handlebar, what do these numbers mean? krashTest 10 5,669 Nov 1, 2012 06:24 PM
Last Post: RobAR