Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

A ping in the front wheel
Ok, I know that I few of the spokes in my wheels feel a little loser the others. Now with that front wheel on my MTB was been making a pinging noise, it usually stops after about a half mile of riding, but some day is off and on for the 4 mile ride to work. Is this something to worry about or do I need to have the wheels looked at and retuned.
Have fun and just enjoy the ride
(09-22-2012, 10:28 PM)FredS Wrote:  Ok, I know that I few of the spokes in my wheels feel a little loser the others. Now with that front wheel on my MTB was been making a pinging noise, it usually stops after about a half mile of riding, but some day is off and on for the 4 mile ride to work. Is this something to worry about or do I need to have the wheels looked at and retuned.

Yes definitely get the wheels (spokes) re-tensioned and looked at. If you are certain the "pinging" noise is coming from the wheel I would highly recommend you stop riding it. If that wheel collapses (and it will eventually fail) when you are riding you or someone else could get hurt.
If you are interested in correcting the problem yourself then it is a simple process. That I will leave for you to answer.
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
(09-22-2012, 10:28 PM)FredS Wrote:  .....Is this something to worry about ?.....

YES.

All the spokes in a front wheel should be about the same tension - make approximately the same sound (note) when they are plucked like a guitar. If they are not, that indicates unequal load distribution, and a likely hood of failure sooner instead of never.

Typically spokes will make some pinging noises during the first 100 meters (yards) after a wheel build or re-tension. At the first 160km (100 miles); the wheel should be re-tensioned, re-trued and stress relieved; and then never need any servicing until the brake pads have worn through the rim.

The symptoms you describe could be:
  • A poorly built wheel.
  • cracked nipple(s)
  • cracked rim
  • wheel bearings needing rebuild
  • cracked hub
  • and probably some other things that I can't think of right now

Yes, these need to be diagnosed and taken care of sooner, rather than later.

Bill descirbed the consequences quite well - though less dramatically than I would Smile You do not want to end up in emergency surgery with the doctor trying to figure out how to remove bicycle parts from your body.
Nigel
I have already parked the bike, as I did not like the thought of going over the handlebars and any speed. As for the bearings, I took the hub apart and cleaned and re-lubed the hubs and it still made the pinging noise. Will try plucking the spokes but I will probably just take them to a shop and get them done right. Thanks for the reply
Have fun and just enjoy the ride

Possibly Related Threads...