Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Poll: is this tube thing fixable?
just get a new wheel ...
yes! i will post detailed advice.

Tire tube tangled in gears
I don't know if this is the right section for this post, but I'm novice bicycle maintainer and the gears on my back wheel are jammed. My dumb friend (sigh) was riding my bike while it had a flat for several weeks... Argh. At one point the tube got out of the wheel and got tangled up in the gears! I don't know what I can do, if anything, to get it out, can I take the gears off to get at it? I tried unscrewing some things but it doesn't seem to do anything.

I'm putting in a picture of what it looks like...
Ok this is not that bad. Let us know what type of bike it is, manufacturer and model. Next maybe one more picture closer to the gears and then a top view close to where the tube is "bound" and twisted in the back of the big gear. I am trying to use understandable language as to not to confuse ya.
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
Awww come on Bill its just a stock tube. I have no idea how I am seeing just half of the tube? Cut it up and dig it out with a small screwdriver and needle nose pliers.. You will need a new tube no matter what.
Never Give Up!!!
Um ok George was trying semantics here but guess that's the easiest way
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
Hey I am a KISS kind of guy. Keep It Simple Stupid......No reason to get semantical. :-)) Sometimes cigar is just a cigar.
Never Give Up!!!
Oh yeah, I was definitely under no delusion that I would be using this tube again! The problem is that it's really crammed in there, part of the tube hangs out as you can see, but inside you can hardly see the tube, let alone get at it with any tools! It seems like you really need to take the part off the wheel to get to it - if that is possible.

It's a road-bike style supercycle I think? I can check tomorrow. I've attached a picture of the whole bike...

I've been trying to take pictures of it close up, but honestly I don't see what use that could possibly be ... The tube is right in the centre and the back of the gear, I can really hardly see them, but the tube part hanging out won't budge an inch so I know the rest of the tub is tangled inside there. I've taken a few pictures, through the very small holes you can see a bit of black that is the tube - just barely. It's very hard to see, they're tangled up that tight. In the picture from above all you can see is the part that hangs out - that is how shoved down they are.
Good pictures Heather. Yeh it looks stucken, you got great friends , where are they now?

Try turning the gears backwards in the same orientation as your second photo (as it goes on the bike) and pull at the same time, maybe you can unwind it .

Special tools are needed for removal and since you got the wheel off why not bring it to your local bike shop I am sure they would do it gratis. Maybe they can service the bearings too. You need a new tube anyway.

BTW where are you If you are in my neighborhood I'd be glad to help out. There are also a BikeroWave and other outlets for DIY. If you would like to learn to service your own bike without buying lots of tools.

http://sheldonbrown.com/free-k7.html
Never Give Up!!!
Hi Heather;

1st - if your bike is equipped with a Shimano Front Freewheel System (FFS) this going to be difficult - when coasting, with the pedals stationary, does the chain keep going? If yes, you have a FFS. Then you need a TL-20 to remove the gear cluster - some older bike shops have this tool, and can remove the gear cluster for you.

If not, you are in luck, all that is required is an FR1 tool; which many of us on this forum have; and most of us (even Bill Smile ) would be happy to remove the freewheel (gear cluster) for you - it will only take a couple of minutes - then the inner tube will fall off.
Nigel
Now for the semantic lol, Nigel is this the kind she may have??? Reason I asked I do not see anywhere the FR-1 would go....
http://forums.bikeride.com/thread-1230.html

EDIT: The video is funny and shows my youth in Bike Mechanics lol.
(09-25-2012, 10:31 AM)Bill Wrote:  Now for the semantic lol, Nigel is this the kind she may have??? Reason I asked I do not see anywhere the FR-1 would go....
http://forums.bikeride.com/thread-1230.html

EDIT: The video is funny and shows my youth in Bike Mechanics lol.

Hi Bill;

You definitely could be correct. My eyes are not the greatest - I thought I saw a spline in there last night; now I am not sure.....
Nigel
If it is the case then the removal procedure is a little bit of a pain but definitely do able with a couple of chain whips Smile . Best bet is to go to a Local Bike Shop, depending on the area she lives. Im in New York area so I really don't know if I would be of help?
It actually looked more like this one:

http://sheldonbrown.com/free-k7/pages/k7hub-lockring.html

One thought I had is spraying some lubricant in there and than tag and pull counter to the rotation the tube wound in and try to unwind it, counter clockwise. Otherwise as I said before take it to a bike dealer.

As per semantics Bill, I think its not semantics but information or technical DATA. Semantics is for writing classes not repair.
Never Give Up!!!

Possibly Related Threads...