Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

What adjustment is actually required
Hi guys
Thanks for looking at my post
I've only got into cycling less than a year so dont know too much appart from tightening brakes but after reading up quite a bit and watching videos on gears I feel even more lost, especially after reading
http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/rear-derailler-adjustments-derailleur

Basically my wheels got stolen so I ordered new wheels and the shop fitted a Shimano Alivio CS-HG20 7-speed cassette with the same number of sprockets as my old rear wheel cassette which was stolen (SRAM 12-32) . As the wheels I got were for 8/9 speed the shop fitted a spacer so that a 7 speed cassette would fit

My question is do I really need to adjust the Front derailed at all? And do I need to mess around and change the L and H settings as it seems to be fine already, my only issue seems to be that 3 and 4 gear seem to jump and the other gears dont sound like the use to. Is it that I just need to adjust the tensioner or do i also need to adjust the B screw adjuster

Or have I just purchased the wrong rear cassette as I got a shimano cassette instead of a SRAM cassette? Does that make a difference

Ps the specs of my gears before wheels stolen are below only difference is the rear cassette

Cheers

Shimano EF-51 EZ Fire shifters, Shimano front and Shimano Altus rear derailleur, Shimano FCM141 chainset, 48/38/28 tooth chainrings with chainguard, SRAM 12-32 tooth cassette, 7-speed
I would have to ask how many miles or years do you have on the chain and would check the chain to see if it has been worn. Did you put the parts on or did the shop? if it was the shop I am sure the y adjusted what was needed for it to shift properly. now some of us prefer different rear clusters over others and I would have gone with the sram over the shimano at that level. I also am not a fan of the spacer but what is done is done My guess would be the chain if I could not see the bike.
In your case I would have recommended a total upgrade to an 8 speed because the price of the wheels, rear cassette are the same and the shimano 8spd version of your shifter is not that much more . anyways I would try to fine tune the rear derailluer but would not rule out the chain
sorry to hear about your wheels . I would also check the hanger alignment of the rear derailluer because if they stole your wheels they may have roughed it up a bit if they just dropped the bike on the ground
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
(10-30-2012, 09:50 PM)painkiller Wrote:  I would have to ask how many miles or years do you have on the chain and would check the chain to see if it has been worn. Did you put the parts on or did the shop? if it was the shop I am sure the y adjusted what

Hi, thanks for your reply,

The chain is less than 6 month as the bike is less than 6 months too

I purchased the wheel and the cassette online and they fit spacer and sent to me

I just fitted the tyres and fitted to the frame, im not sure if I should mess with the B or just the tension adjuster

cheers about about "check the hanger alignment", Ill google that
cheers
Ok then, assuming your chain is good. the only things that may need adjusted "H" "L" screws and the rear derailluer dialed in. But highly recommend checking the rear hanger alignment which takes a tool that most do not have but a shop should. and the wheel should be trued first.
This is the first thing I do to a bike with shifting problems in the rear and any used bike I purchase for myself or new bike I assemble out of the box.
I always start with this tool, and your bike may have been slightly damaged when the wheels were jacked
If this is out of your scope take it to a shop that you know does quality work
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
For hanger alignment without the tool I just take the rear wheel off of my other bike, remove the cassette and screw it into the hanger. Measure the parallelism between the wheels and adjust as needed. If that makes sense?

Possibly Related Threads...