Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Kenda Thin Inner Tube - Replace
I'm currently suspecting that the Kenda Inner Tube in my front tire has a slow leak. I filled it up about a week ago and it's dropped to 10 pounds. It's one of those Kenda tubes that are about as thin as a piece of paper. It wouldn't suprise me if it has a puncture in it. The tire is on my Huffy Mtb Bike.

The rear tube was changed out from a Kenda to a Hutchinson. The Hutchinson tube performs perfectly and is 20% thicker than a normal tube. The only problem I have with the Hutchinson isn't the tube itself, but the tire. The tire bead doesn't always seat correctly. But I took the tube out and put it back in and somehow it fixed it. The tire came with the bike and is a no-name chinese tire.

The front is the same No-Name Chinese tire, but the front never has problems with the bead. It's problem is the el' cheapo Kenda Paper-Thin Tube. So, I'm thinking about replacing the Kenda with a Hutchinson like the rear, because the Hutchinson is only $6.96 at Wal-Mart, 20% thicker, and performs excellent!

The bike hasn't been ridden in a week because the pedal fell off and it hurts my feet as my foot is wide. The Hutchinson tube has dropped just a pound, if even that. But the Kenda dropped about 5 to 10 pounds. (I never fill my tires up, I just fill them half-way up because of the cheapness of the Chinese No-Names.)

So what does everyone on here think about it?
I have to top off my tubes every other day. I'd lose at least 5lbs in all of my bikes in a week. I'd pick up some pedals at Walmart when you get the tube.
(10-20-2012, 07:52 PM)1FJEF Wrote:  I have to top off my tubes every other day. I'd lose at least 5lbs in all of my bikes in a week. I'd pick up some pedals at Walmart when you get the tube.

You probably have a latex inner tube. I'm not a bicycle fanatic, but I use a bike to exercise and get where I need to go until I can buy my first car. (BTW, I'm 13 years old.)

Latex tubes leak faster than the Butyl ones. I have a Butyl one and it's not suppose to leak like this. Yes, I've decided that I'm pretty sure I'm going to replace that paper-thin tube with a Hutchinson one. Now I've got to figure out how to torture that stupid paper-thin Kenda tube thingy. (BTW, I've never liked Kenda tubes because most of them are paper-thin and puncture so easily.)
I just found out that the Wal-Mart in my town doesn't have the Hutchinson tubes. I got the Hutchinson tubes at another Wal-Mart. But, they do have these IN Tubes by a company called Cycle Force. Don't know if they would fit my bike but anything that's thicker is better. I guess Kenda would win the "Ultra-Thin tube" competition.
Cant believe I am going to say this but if you have to go with the self seal tubes, those are not too bad. I have them on my GT and they are rated to be puncture resistant (thicker composition).
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
No latex tubes dude. Innertubes leak.
I'm not a big self sealing fan as the gook can make a disastrous mess, but if I got a ton of flats I guess I might consider it.
Open one of those IN tubes up & check it out, maybe it'll be fine. I wasn't aware that Kenda tubes are extra thin.
Any body know anything on Schwalbe Tubes?

BTW, will a 26 x 2.00 tube fit inside a 26 x 1.95 tire without a problem?
I use some Schwalbe tubes. The schraeder valves have a retaining nut on the base & they tend to be expensive, about $9 with shipping.
They are also very flexible, the model AV 13 will fit 26 x 1.5" all the way up to 26 x 2.5".
I haven't heard of a 26 x 2 tube.
Hi guys Smile. Just to let ya know the schrader is the most widely used tube no nut at the bottom. Presta is the type with the retaining nut at the base. Jef please forgive my jump in, just wanted to clarify as I didn't specify for a rim i ordered and got presta valve cut hole instead of the schraedervapve hole. .
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
FYI - Schwalbe shraeder tubes actually do have nuts like prestas, but this is unusual. Very few brands have this. I suspect they may use the same outer valve part as on their "Dunlop" valve tubes which are pretty much only used in Europe. But yes, make sure you're getting the right type.

I wouldn't get too concerned about tube sizes. The listed sizes are guidelines and most tubes will expand to fit what you need. There's usually "skinny" tubes (1.5") and "wide" ones (1.95"). Best to use the right size, but you can usually get away with either. Though if you have a tube rated 2-2.5, it may be tough to get it into a 1.5" tire. Putting a 1.5 tube into a 2.5 tire means the tube will be stretched thinner and MAY be easier to puncture.
Does Schwalbe ship inside the U.S.

About how much does the shipping cost. The tube cost $9.05
You can find them on auction site sometimes. Be careful to get the Mod# exactly right so you don't end up with the wrong valve.
I buy them 3 at a time from Cyclocamping.com as shipping was about $7 for one, two or three. They seem to be on sale now.
I use the AV13 (AV = schraeder) for most 26" replacements and as a spare as it will fit any 26" tire I own. It fits- 40-559 26 x 1.50, 47-559 26 x 1.75, 50-559 26 x 2.00, 54-559 26 x 2.10, 57-559 26 x 2.25, 60-559 26 x 2.35 & 62-559 26 x 2.50.
[Image: 10410310-10430340-1.jpg]
(10-22-2012, 06:56 PM)DaveM Wrote:  FYI - Schwalbe shraeder tubes actually do have nuts like prestas, but this is unusual. Very few brands have this. I suspect they may use the same outer valve part as on their "Dunlop" valve tubes which are pretty much only used in Europe. But yes, make sure you're getting the right type.

I wouldn't get too concerned about tube sizes. The listed sizes are guidelines and most tubes will expand to fit what you need. There's usually "skinny" tubes (1.5") and "wide" ones (1.95"). Best to use the right size, but you can usually get away with either. Though if you have a tube rated 2-2.5, it may be tough to get it into a 1.5" tire. Putting a 1.5 tube into a 2.5 tire means the tube will be stretched thinner and MAY be easier to puncture.

Hey Dave,
Thanks I never really knew that Smile . It was my understanding that schrader was well schrader lol. Thats cool to know so when I am searching for a certain tire to make sure I read the fine print Wink.
Schwalbe & some Kenda models have a retaining nut for the schraeder models. I just gently finger tighten it, and I never let them go flat.
(10-22-2012, 09:39 PM)1FJEF Wrote:  Schwalbe & some Kenda models have a retaining nut for the schraeder models. I just gently finger tighten it, and I never let them go flat.

What will happen if they do go flat?

I have a spare inner tube that is not the correct size but has been punctured and came out of my road bike. I can put wrap it around the MTB tire and fill it up. Don't know if that spare tube will stretch though...
In the short term nothing. Same as presta valved innertubes. I wouldn't screw around with making tubes fit.
I found a cheaper, probably better quality tube that is 26 x 1.75

Will a 26 x 1.75 inner tube work in a 26 x 1.95 tire?
Yes it should.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

10-29-2012, 04:08 AM
Last Post: Joe_W