Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Bikes built in the USA
Can anybody recommend a "quality" bike builder that is reasonably priced? I'm not looking for fancy frames and such....just good-solid American quality from the tires, gears, internals to the handlebars. Thanks.
(10-30-2012, 12:37 AM)The_Istrian Wrote:  Can anybody recommend a "quality" bike builder that is reasonably priced? I'm not looking for fancy frames and such....just good-solid American quality from the tires, gears, internals to the handlebars. Thanks.

Not sure that combination exists anymore. To get a bike that is totally American made you would likely have to build it yourself and not sure if you could find an American manufacturer on ALL components.
Here's a good list of US made bikes and components:
http://joecruz.wordpress.com/usa-made-cycling-gear/

But RBurrelli is right, I doubt it's possible to even build a completely US made bike and even coming close will be very expensive. It's frustrating that there isn't more of this type of stuff made in the US anymore, but I think you have to be clear with yourself about what's important to you. Just because something is made in the US doesn't mean it is high quality. The asian manufacturers actually have very high quality for the cost. If you buy a $80 bike, it's not a surprise it's junk, but that's not <i>because</i> it was made in asia.

If quality is your main concern, look at reputation for quality, I wouldn't worry too much about country of origin. If supporting US industry is your main concern, buy from a local shop and not a big discount internet seller. Buy a bike from a US company that at least does their design, advertising, and distribution in the US. Buy accessories that are made in the US by craft builders instead of mass produced stuff, etc. Buying a bike that works for you, riding it, shopping locally, etc. will do more for your local economy than fixating on whether any particular part of your bike is US made. I think it's important to pay attention to this stuff, but there are limits to what is possible and what makes sense in the long run.

I'm a fan of Linus bikes, but not sure what type, price range, etc. you're looking for.

EDIT - you might also think about buying a used/vintage bike. Then all your money "stays local" and what you save on the price of the bike can be spent on upgrading/replacing parts with things that suit your criteria. But again, it depends on what you want and are interested to get involved with work wise.
http://lovelybike.blogspot.com/ covers a lot of local smaller manufacturers of bikes and bike stuff, though you'll have to poke through more to find the reviews.
(10-30-2012, 12:37 AM)The_Istrian Wrote:  Can anybody recommend a "quality" bike builder that is reasonably priced? I'm not looking for fancy frames and such....just good-solid American quality from the tires, gears, internals to the handlebars. Thanks.

there are some frames made in the USA, but very few, and they are pricy. To the best of my knowledge there are no bike tires, gears or other components made in this country either. Most are made in China, some in Tiawan and Malaysia; not much is made in Japan anymore either.
Nigel
I think some people like to give the American worker the business rather than send it overseas. Unfortunately, like others have said, many of our manufacturers have moved out of the country due to the 'comparative advantage' of low labor costs. The American worker has been priced out of the market.

And the overseas worker isn't being taken advantage of either. They are happy to have the employment. The low money they make is actually a comfortable living where they live. It's the low cost of living. I'm sure Nigel can attest to that.

Another possibility though might be to purchase a vintage bike like many of us have done. I love the old Schwinn bikes made in Chicago up into the 1980's.

Steve
Junkyard Tools rescued from the junkyard!
I would look for a used bike - yard sales, Craigslist, maybe Ebay (I hate Ebay). Most of those will have been built in Japan and Taiwan, but you may come across a Chicago Schwinn or a BCA. All of the bikes made in the USA nowdays (as far as I know) are from custom builders. Those guys have to charge a lot for their labor and overhead. Good luck.
"just good-solid American quality"

There are plenty of brands out there with excellent build quality being made in the far east, Trek and Giant bikes for example
Just realised this is a really old post!

Possibly Related Threads...