Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Bottom bracket tools?
I'd like some advice on what tools I'll need for this bottom bracket (see attached photos). Ultimately I'd like to re-grease or replace it.
Thanks so much for you're help!
if you do not work on bikes much but want to do it yourself, I would not worry to much about the spanner/lockring wrench and spend your money on a crank extractor, this will pull the arms off this spindle and the new cartridge BB spindle in the future. so yes i recommend updating to cartridge style BB instead of the cup and spindle you have now.
spend your money on the tool to put in the new BB instead.
So all you need to remove the lock ring is a pipe wrench or careful taps with a hammer and a screw driver so you do not gash your frame, and a wrench to fit the nut on the bearing cups, look at tutorials to get the feel of the process
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
I agree with PK, I'd replace the existing bottom bracket with a cartridge type, they're much easier to install and last ages.

You'll need to pull the cranks off, for which you'll need a crank puller, like this:

[Image: shimano%20crank%20extractor.jpg]

This is a genuine Shimano crank puller and I recommend it, I have one and it's much better than the unbranded one I had previously.

Like PK says, you can "bodge" the existing bottom bracket out by undoing the lock ring by tapping the lock ring around with a hammer and an old screwdriver, then undoing the inner part with a large adjustable spanner.

You'll need to measure the length of the bottom bracket axle, then get a cartridge bottom bracket with the same length axle. The Shimano UN54 or UN55 aren't expensive smooth running and last for ages:

[Image: 41J-FUV2mYL._SL500_AA300_.jpg]

To fit the cartridhe BB You'll need a tool like this:

[Image: shimano-bottom-bracket-removal-tool.jpg]

Some are like this, which you use with a large spanner, or some have an integral handle, like this:

[Image: bbb-btl-20-med.jpg]
You guys are fantastic. I really appreciate the advice and thank you for images. I've got some of these tools and can make do with improvising.
Cheers!

(11-04-2012, 06:19 AM)xerxes Wrote:  I agree with PK, I'd replace the existing bottom bracket with a cartridge type, they're much easier to install and last ages.

You'll need to pull the cranks off, for which you'll need a crank puller, like this:

[Image: shimano%20crank%20extractor.jpg]

This is a genuine Shimano crank puller and I recommend it, I have one and it's much better than the unbranded one I had previously.

Like PK says, you can "bodge" the existing bottom bracket out by undoing the lock ring by tapping the lock ring around with a hammer and an old screwdriver, then undoing the inner part with a large adjustable spanner.

You'll need to measure the length of the bottom bracket axle, then get a cartridge bottom bracket with the same length axle. The Shimano UN54 or UN55 aren't expensive smooth running and last for ages:

[Image: 41J-FUV2mYL._SL500_AA300_.jpg]

To fit the cartridhe BB You'll need a tool like this:

[Image: shimano-bottom-bracket-removal-tool.jpg]

Some are like this, which you use with a large spanner, or some have an integral handle, like this:

[Image: bbb-btl-20-med.jpg]

Thanks so much! This really helps.
Actually I kinda' enjoyed repacking & readjusting mine.
(11-06-2012, 01:18 AM)1FJEF Wrote:  Actually I kinda' enjoyed repacking & readjusting mine.

ditto
Nigel
(11-06-2012, 01:18 AM)1FJEF Wrote:  Actually I kinda' enjoyed repacking & readjusting mine.

Maybe, but I never had one, even the better quality and more expensive ones, run as smoothly or last as long as a sealed cartridge bottom bracket. Even though I used plenty of good quality grease and would take the time to adjust them "just so", I don't think I ever got much more than a year out of one. I think it was mainly the lack of sealing, so water and dirt would find its way in and end up pitting the bearing surfaces.

Maybe sealing is less of an issue in dryer parts of the world, but if you ride in the UK, you and your bike are going to get wet at some point. Smile
When it comes to being a "grease monkey" always loved my Nitrile Gloves! Makes me feel like a bike surgeon sturgeon lol.
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
(11-07-2012, 02:13 AM)Bill Wrote:  When it comes to being a "grease monkey" always loved my Nitrile Gloves! Makes me feel like a bike surgeon sturgeon lol.

Smile my wife wishes that I wore them.....
Nigel
Ahahahaha, why do you think I HAVE to wear them now Wink . Not so bad after ya try it.
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!

Possibly Related Threads...