Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Vertical Drill Press uses for bike fab...
I recently acquired a Vertical Drill press. It is used but works really nice. Granted this may be a little off topic from bicycle specific tools but if you are like me these are nice if one does any wood or metal fabrication to make a part or accessory for a bicycle!

This came in quite handy for my bike stand I am working on. Mine looks like this..
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
(11-18-2012, 11:56 PM)Bill Wrote:  Mine looks like this..
Bill - you had best get the key out of the chuck before you forget and fire it up and launch that puppy across the room into your GT or, worse - into your new helmet. Sheesh! Think SAFETY, bro! Wink
Yes, those bench-mount drill presses come in handy quite often. To be honest though; the biggest employment of mine is in mounting a 3" diameter wire brush for hasty rust removal on restoration projects. Sometimes the brush on the 6" bench grinder is overkill and the 1" on the Dremel takes All Day! Know what I mean?! Smile
Wheelies don't pop themselves. (from a QBP fortune cookie)
Yes sir I do know exactly what you mean!!! Dang near took off a finger not long ago in Vocational Adv. Truck Mech., 20yrs ago. Seriously I do agree on the safety of these style bike tools Wink . Just bought a 4in flat vise and a bag of clamps so my hand doesn't have to be near the bit or chuck. Never would have thought of using the 3" wire brush bit in it, thanks for the idea! Big Grin Hmm wander if using one of those grinding stone bits would be too dangerous if I put the belt on the low speed for like shaving a bur off of a metal piece? At any rate it is a Central Machinery Model 831B, which seems to drill through everything I have put to it! Aluminum, wood, 3/4" black iron pipe (took some time), and steel tubing from a bicycle frame. Here are a couple pictures...
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

10-08-2013, 04:05 AM
Last Post: Joe_W

10-04-2011, 03:36 AM
Last Post: GeorgeET