Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

What tool do it need?
[attachment=3808]First, I'm not into bikes much just use mine for transportation.
Recently I broke a spoke on my rear wheel and of course it's behind the freewheel/cluster/cog. I saw a good vid on youtube on replacement and tuning so I'm going to tackle it. BUT I don't know what tool I need to remove the freewheel. Attached is a picture of it.

First, what do I have? Is it a freewheel or cluster or what?

Second what tool do I need to remove it to get at the spoke?

Help much appreciated.

Rangergord
I may be wrong here, but I don't think you need any other tool but a spoke wrench to remove your broken spoke.
Hard to tell from photo as the nut is obstructing spline view but most likely FR1

http://sheldonbrown.com/free-k7/pages/frwl-shimano.html

http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/tools/freewheel.html
Never Give Up!!!
If the broken spoke is on the drive side, you need to remove the freewheel (and FR1 is the right tool). You'll also need a good sized adjustable wrench to turn the freewheel tool of course. You do have a freewheel and not a cassette.

If the spoke is on the left side, you "can" replace it without removing the freewheel, but you have to bend the new spoke pretty substantially to get it in and it's not "recommended". Note that you usually have to bend a spoke a little to put it in regardless. This is fine as long as you make long smooth bends and avoid any kinks.

While you have it off, might as well repack the wheel bearings with grease and flush some clean oil into the freewheel if you've got the time.