Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon

Replace shifter cable or cable + housing?
I inherited 2001 LeMond road bike recently and I want to add inline cable adjusters to the shifting cables (the existing adjusters are rusted and don't work anymore). I was planning on buying a new shifter cable and housing set, but now I'm wondering if I should keep the existing housing and just replace the cable. The housing seems to be in good shape, but is probably 5+ years old.

The cable and housing set I'm looking at is Aztec shifter cable and housing.
As for raw cable, any advantage to PTFE coating vs. stainless steel?
Always replace both the housing and cable at the same time. It the adjusters are corroded, most like the inside of the housing is also corroded.

Always lubricate the inside of the housing with light oil.

I would refurbish the existing adjusters - removing a bit of corrosion is not difficult, and has been covered in many places on this forum.
Nigel
(12-26-2012, 02:22 PM)nfmisso Wrote:  Always replace both the housing and cable at the same time. It the adjusters are corroded, most like the inside of the housing is also corroded.

Always lubricate the inside of the housing with light oil.

I would refurbish the existing adjusters - removing a bit of corrosion is not difficult, and has been covered in many places on this forum.

Thanks for the reply. I followed your advice and replaced both the cable and the housing and used some tri-flow on the cable.

The RD now shifts perfectly but I am having a little trouble getting the FD adjusted correctly. I detailed it in this post: http://forums.bikeride.com/thread-4627.html

If you have a minute to take a look, I would appreciate it! Thanks

Possibly Related Threads...