Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Mid 90's Giant Kronos Aluminum Roadie
Got this on CL. It was converted into a Hybrid but I will be coverting it back to a roadie....it needs nothing . It was recently tuned and has almost new tires.The guy that sold it to me gave me the original drop bars and the levers but one of the levers is missing the plastic trim around the rubber so I don't know if I should install those like they are or get new ones.... they look in pretty good shape but thats the only thing. Not sure about the year just that is from the mid 90's. It is an aluminum frame with shimano Exage group components triple crank and a 8 speed on the rear. The levers has Exage Action printed on them.. I didn't like the saddle so got a new one for it. It will be getting blue handlebar tape but trying to decide first on the levers if I should keep these or get a new set. I truly believe I got a good deal on this . I got it for my other son so we all can go on the rode and no one will get drop "hopefully"....lol..

Here a some pictures let me know what you think.

[attachment=3885]

Here with the new saddle
[attachment=3886]

[attachment=3887]

[attachment=3888]

[attachment=3889]

[attachment=3890]

[attachment=3891]
Decent bike. Are you sure it's not a cromoly steel frame? Looks like it.
The plastic bit on the brake lever is cosmetic. If it's ok otherwise, fine to use as is. You'll need new brake cables and housing. Get decent quality stuff. I'd also recommend new brake pads (kool stop salmons or comparable.)
Other things to check is if the chain is stretched and it and cassette should be replaced.

There's stuff you could upgrade on this bike, but no particular reason to. It should serve you well.

Nice..
Hey Dave thanks for your reply . Yes...you are right it is a full cromoly tubing frame, and its a 21 speed (7on the rear not 8). DOn't know where I got that it was an aluminum...I really tought because the bike is really light comparing it to my Schwinn and the Bianchi. I wasnt really paying attention on material or speed. I just saw that the components where nice and the bike its was really takine care of , no rust and you really have to look for scratches and see if you find one.

Speaking about cables is there a particular brand or material that I should consider over another?...I am just doing the conversion back . Installing the dropbar, levers and cables for now. This bike is for my 15 year old son. So he can go with me on some events and when I go for short 20 mile rides . If he gets hooked on it I might consider getting him and my other son an entry level road bike in a couple of years.

BTW how much can i get for the flat bar and brake levers that are on the bike right now?
Hey Dave thanks for your reply . Yes...you are right it is a full cromoly tubing frame, and its a 21 speed (7on the rear not 8). DOn't know where I got that it was an aluminum...I really tought because the bike is really light comparing it to my Schwinn and the Bianchi. I wasnt really paying attention on material or speed. I just saw that the components where nice and the bike its was really takine care of , no rust and you really have to look for scratches and see if you find one.

Speaking about cables is there a particular brand or material that I should consider over another?...I am just doing the conversion back . Installing the dropbar, levers and cables for now. This bike is for my 15 year old son. So he can go with me on some events and when I go for short 20 mile rides . If he gets hooked on it I might consider getting him and my other son an entry level road bike in a couple of years.

BTW how much can i get for the flat bar and brake levers that are on the bike right now?
Yeah, better quality steel frames aren't really any heavier than aluminum, and they typically ride better and hold up longer to boot!

I don't have any particular brand preference on cables, but I'd say to get stainless steel cables and housing that has an inner liner. (Just don't buy the cheapest stuff.)

This bike's pretty solid and a few strategic upgrades (brifters, dual pivot brakes) would make it pretty comparable to a current entry level road bike.

Unfortunately, the flat bars, etc. probably aren't worth much unless you happen to stumble onto someone who needs that stuff exactly.
Thanks again for the advice. I went ahead and ordered the brake cable/housing kit and bar tape. I will be getting it in a 3-5 days hopefully by Saturday. I will try to do this as well by myself. Will update soon. They (my kids) have been using the bikes on the trainers for about 4 days now and I really want them and especiallymy youngest to get use to the drop bar before we head out to the road in Spring that is why I decided to go ahead and do it now. I hope I dont mess it up...Smile
Ok ....so here she is...I messed up and wasnt able to install the brakes so I took it to the LBS.

Let me know what you think.. Smile My son loves it! and so do I Smile

[attachment=3947]

[attachment=3948]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

06-07-2015, 10:06 PM
Last Post: jeracravo

09-17-2008, 12:09 AM