Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the Latest Giveaway coming soon

What should I do with this Vintage 1980s Univega frame?
So I have this Vintage 1980s Univega frame and I don't know what to do with it. May be you guys can help give some suggestions on what to do.

Initially I had a thought of converting it to a Fixie.

BTW, I'm new to bikes and I want to learn to build a bike. The only bike I have is a Dahon Jack D7 which I commute to work.
Path racer!
http://velospace.org/node/21652

Well, that's what I'd build, but just because I'm into it.

A fix would be a relatively simple, less expensive build. And fixies are a lot of fun, a good riding experience, and very different from your commuter. I would just ask that you don't start cutting bits off the frame so that it could never be geared again. And use at least a front brake. Brakeless really doesn't make sense on the road.
(01-11-2013, 09:31 PM)MrVo Wrote:  So I have this Vintage 1980s Univega frame and I don't know what to do with it. May be you guys can help give some suggestions on what to do.

BTW, I'm new to bikes and I want to learn to build a bike. The only bike I have is a Dahon Jack D7 which I commute to work.

Hey MrVo, I think I have the same frame as you (minus the front forks!) and I'm planning the same project as yourself! I bought it on second hand website here in Ireland for a few quid and I'm on ebay and other sites at the moment picking up pieces for the build, very exciting stuff! I have forks, wheels (with the flip flop hub, so its fixed one side and free wheel the other, as I'm not sure if I want to go down the fixie or single speed route just yet.)
I'm new to this area also, and I'm loving this website!!! I will post some pics of the build as I go, its going to be a slow build as I dont have a huge amount of time (or money!!) at the moment!!
something like my WT
http://forums.bikeride.com/thread-3216.html
flat bars, dual pivot brakes, ......
Nigel
(01-11-2013, 09:31 PM)MrVo Wrote:  So I have this Vintage 1980s Univega frame and I don't know what to do with it. May be you guys can help give some suggestions on what to do.

Sorry MrVo, dont mean to be going away from your topic or stealing your post, but I was wondering if you knew what headset you have as I'm having trouble finding a threaded headset like yours, (make and size if possible?) thanks! Morgan
Hi Morgan:

There are dozens of 1" threaded headsets on Amazon, like this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Tange-Threaded-Headset-1-Inch-Silver/dp/B000C17IW0/
Nigel

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

11-28-2020, 10:21 PM
Last Post: Jesper