Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Portable multi-tool Schwinn 72' cruiser
Hi,

My father have an old '72 schwinn cruiser bicycle with springer fork, is not really vintage but it uses old parts. He saw my Topeak Alien II Multitool and he really like it but must of the tools were not needed or usefull for him. What other multitool will you recommend to be use with the cruiser?
Hi,
I don't have any experience with a cruiser bicycle however, these are two alternative tools that could be useful.
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=47016

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=47018

Im assuming you probably wouldnt use the same site but its just to get an idea for Topeak tool names.
Well, the problem is that he probably needs box wrenches rather than Allen keys I guess. I have a very simple tool
http://www.bike-fitline.com/lexikon/images/knochenschluessel.gif
they come in low and very low quality... you'd probably be better off carrying the two or three wrenches you actually need in the saddle bag. I have a set of cheap = use three or four times only wrenches in my bag that I sometimes (rarely) use on my train-to-office bike.
Thanks I will check that out.
Asides from carrying a multi tool consisting of allan wrenches and screwdrivers, I carry a small pair of pliers and good quality adjustable wrench. I also have some hand wipes.......
Never Give Up!!!
(02-07-2013, 04:44 PM)GeorgeET Wrote:  I also have some hand wipes.......
Couldn't agree more, it's awful trying to perform roadside service with grease all over the place. I carry a baggie with a few sets of latex gloves!

For a cruiser (with a basket) with bolted wheels:
4 Latex Gloves in a Sandwich bag
Headband Flashlight
Crescent Wrench
Plastic Tire Irons
2 Inner tubes
Topeak Mini Morph Pump
CO2 Inflator + Extra cartridges.
Pencil Tire pressure gauge (for Cruisers)
And a hunk of old balloon tire sidewall to use as a boot to get my butt home on a dark night.
Yeh I got many of the items you have, The latex gloves are part of my first aid kit . As a former MBU patrol rider for dept of parks in Santa Monica Mountains I am ready.
Never Give Up!!!
For the road bike I have a very cheap and simple "multitool" with just a buch of allan keys and a screwdriver + inner tube + tyre levers (Schwalbe) + 2 latex gloves in an old, cheap swim cap taped to a bag with electrical tape and strapped under the saddle. It's small, light and contains all I need... hopefully.
On the other normal bikes I usually have a similar assortment of stuff as you carry, except for the CO2 stuff and the crescent wrenches.
For my train-to-office beater I have a pair of wrenches plus the "bone" wrench in my bag. No tubes, pump, ... this stuff lives in my office.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post