Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the Latest Giveaway coming soon

Repeatedly Burst/scored tyre
I have a fairly old custom road bike with 700c wheels. I had a blowout on the front tyre, where the actual blowout was roughly level with where the rim touches the tyre. I bought a new tyre and the same problem happened again. To enable me to get around before buying another I put on an old spare tyre, this also blewout in the same location and the tyre was heavily scored (mainly on one side) where the tyre meets the rim. I can't notice any sharp bits/anything unusual with the rim. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what could be the problem or have they experienced the same problem?
Are you damaging the tire when you install it?
Nigel
Nigel. I would think that accidentally damaging the tire in the same spot might be odd. My feeling is that it has to be the rim.
(02-03-2013, 01:18 PM)RBurrelli Wrote:  Nigel. I would think that accidentally damaging the tire in the same spot might be odd. My feeling is that it has to be the rim.

Make sure you aren't rubbing your tire when applying the brake.
I agree, this sounds like you might be installing the tire incorrectly.
I don't think it could be a case of damage from installation, I've cycled all my life and worked doing repairs previously for over 3 years and never had problems before. And that would give damage in a certain location rather than a kind of scoring all the way round that has happened
try wrapping some saran wrap around your finger and rub along your bead surface and see if it shreds or cuts anywhere. p.s. have a band-aid ready to go..Smile
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
(02-03-2013, 07:07 PM)andy2307 Wrote:  I don't think it could be a case of damage from installation, I've cycled all my life and worked doing repairs previously for over 3 years and never had problems before. And that would give damage in a certain location rather than a kind of scoring all the way round that has happened

" tyre was heavily scored "
That would be caused when your brake-pad on the rim is mal-aligned and rubs the tyre.
thanks for your help will try that later!

(02-03-2013, 10:32 PM)painkiller Wrote:  try wrapping some saran wrap around your finger and rub along your bead surface and see if it shreds or cuts anywhere. p.s. have a band-aid ready to go..Smile

I have checked and it isnt rubbing, and I think that would give a wider score than the one experienced

(02-04-2013, 01:43 AM)pmoseman Wrote:  
(02-03-2013, 07:07 PM)andy2307 Wrote:  I don't think it could be a case of damage from installation, I've cycled all my life and worked doing repairs previously for over 3 years and never had problems before. And that would give damage in a certain location rather than a kind of scoring all the way round that has happened

" tyre was heavily scored "
That would be caused when your brake-pad on the rim is mal-aligned and rubs the tyre.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

03-24-2024, 05:48 PM
Last Post: Frankly

06-07-2015, 03:57 PM
Last Post: Painkiller

03-30-2015, 12:18 PM
Last Post: nfmisso