Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Replacing Forks on 2001 Gary Fisher Marlin
I am new at repairing my bike but feel like I can be pretty competent at it. I have a 2001 Gary Fsher Marlin that I have been riding off and on for years. I really love the size and feel of the bike. I don't know if it matters but I live in the Northeast and ride mostly wooded (pretty bumpy) single track. I am 6'2" and weigh about 200. The forks on the bike (Rockshox Jett) froze early last season so I just put the bike up and didn't ride too much. I want to ride A LOT this season. I am looking around at forks that might go on this bike. I have my old forks pulled off and have the following measurements : Steer is 1 1/8 inchs diameter and the shaft length is 8.175 " long from the top of the lower grommet thing (under the ball bearing ring), to the top of the shaft. I measured it with calipers, so I think it is pretty accurate. I am concrened about needing to cut the shaft on anything I buy. There is a threaded insert in the forks I took off that holds the fork in place in the steer (against the top ball bearings). There are a couple of pictures attached. I am mainly looking for help understanding what I need to buy and how to install it.

Thanks. Any help you can provide is greatly apprecaited.
you may still be able able to rebuild the fork you have, or one like this
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Rock-Shox-Judy-SL-Long-Travel-Disc-or-V-Brake-Ready-/321092589786?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4ac29c18da

do not worry about the star nut, you just buy a new one. if you buy a used but nice fork it will more than likely have one, now is the time if you would like your bars up a bit and you get a fork with a longer steerer tube you can add spacers. cutting the fork is best done with a hacksaw guide for tubes.
Park tools have them or have the shop do it for you, measure twice cut once is the golden rule. then clean up the burr and you are good. If you go with a used fork and the star nut is where you are going to cut, just tap it in a bit further
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
I do have a 100mm travel Suntour xcp Fork lightly used and more plush than the Rockshox in that range. It can be for disc or v brakes, black in color. you could have it for $50 + shipping. if you want it just private message me. It is a 2003 model and never been off-road
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
hi i have the same bike and just broke one of the bearing retainers while taking out the fork, do you know what size it is or where to order one? and also the orientation of the top and bottom bearing? thank so much

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

09-21-2015, 06:09 PM
Last Post: Temmon

07-02-2010, 04:11 PM
Last Post: trevgbb