Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Stationary bike repair
Hello all, new here.
My family have a recumbent bike, which broke a coupe of years ago.
I will try my best to explain the issue, and i hope someone can help me.
When someone attempts to use the bike, it will work fine, and then randomly, the pedals will click and skip. Its happens too often that it makes exercise impossible.
The best way i could relate this to a bicycle is when you switch gears and sometmes the pedals seem to lose their traction, skipping and clicking.

I know i have to buy a crank pulley? so i could open the bike. I dont have one, but i will buy one, only if. Know what to do to fix it. Once i get it open, then what? I tried searching online for guides but found nothing worthwhile.
sound like you may need a new chain and maybe new gears
Have fun and just enjoy the ride
(03-25-2013, 06:46 PM)FredS Wrote:  sound like you may need a new chain and maybe new gears

im able to look inside the front piece without removing the arms, and i do see band and such, which work fine. I was not aware that there are chains in recumbent bikes, but, i do not know much about them. It sucks that an expensive piece of equipment is so fragile.
ooppss, I was thinking 2 wheeled recumbent bike not exercise equipment. not sure with what ou have, have you tried to look up a troubleshooting guide on-line.
Have fun and just enjoy the ride
I've never had one apart, only the old school ones with a chain. Sorry. My recumbent uses magnets supposedly.
if you can see a band & it looks intact then I think it would be worth popping the covers off of the crank bolts. See if they accept a crank puller, if so, you're talking $8-$12 to buy one. in fact I just looked & found a cheap one for $5 on Amazon.
(03-26-2013, 03:01 AM)1FJEF Wrote:  I've never had one apart, only the old school ones with a chain. Sorry. My recumbent uses magnets supposedly.
if you can see a band & it looks intact then I think it would be worth popping the covers off of the crank bolts. See if they accept a crank puller, if so, you're talking $8-$12 to buy one. in fact I just looked & found a cheap one for $5 on Amazon.

Are crank pullers niversal? Mine is square shaped. Is the diameter also universal? The threaded portion looks like a fairly large screw would go in there. I emailed the company, nordictrack, and the woman there said it sounds like worn crank bearings. I wanted to ensure this in fact is the issue, as if its not, returning the item would cost me 10% restocking fee plus shipping both ways.
Take a picture & post it. You popped the cap off right? Then took the fastener out, hex or allen head, whatever. Take a look here.
(03-29-2013, 10:39 AM)1FJEF Wrote:  Take a picture & post it. You popped the cap off right? Then took the fastener out, hex or allen head, whatever. Take a look here.

Hey i have been gone for a while. I managed to remive the crank arms with a puller and popped the cover off the bike. The belt on the exercise bike seems fine. I reattached one arm so i could spin the bike and attempt to locate the sound, but im having difficulty pinpointing where its coming from.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

08-06-2017, 04:48 PM
Last Post: condor

10-19-2010, 08:21 AM
Last Post: Dokljef