Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Swapping front fork but old nut does not fit in new fork tubing
Process seems fairly simple to replace. Was almost done.

Junky Dynacraft recall replacement front fork did not come with this cylindrical angle cut nut that seems to hold the handlebar neck with the fork. The nut attaches to a long screw going from top of the handlebar neck through the front fork. [sorry don't know the proper terms.] The old nut is too big to fit in the forks tubing at the bottom

Can I buy a smaller nut or do i need to chase Dynacrap?

tia

[attachment=4064]
Measure inside of your fork tube, and see if the wedge bolt can fit or not... Get yourself a new bolt from the right diameter if it don't fit!
Will the handlebar "neck" (stem) fit into the fork from the top? If it fits the wedge should too.
The wedge is loosely attached to the stem, then the entire assembly is pushed down into the steerer tube (fork) from the top.
The bottom of the wedge is probably stamped with a size.
(04-02-2013, 07:22 AM)1FJEF Wrote:  Will the handlebar "neck" (stem) fit into the fork from the top? If it fits the wedge should too.
The wedge is loosely attached to the stem, then the entire assembly is pushed down into the steerer tube (fork) from the top.
The bottom of the wedge is probably stamped with a size.

Yes, this. Fork "steerer" tubes often have thicker walls toward the bottom. You need to push the stem and wedge both in from the top.
thanks for the replies, had some mail problems the past few days.

I'll check this and report back butthe handlebar neck is set- i screwed it back on w/the washers against the bearings. The fork button is definitely smaller.

i'll post another pic.
ok it worked from the top, not sure why i didn't think of that. i guess when the nut came out the bottom when taking out the old fork, my mind was stuck in that mode.

Just spent an hour creating trying to calibrate brakes. Figure I'll learn the correct way on this forum. Turning the bike over was way easier. Seems I'll either have more tension and slight rub with the bent rims or less tension and no rub. went with the prior...

Thanks all, been dying to get out with the family now that we all have bikes finally! [Just need to research sore computer work butt saddle options next.]

Possibly Related Threads...