Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Chain clicking
I recently purchased a Sapient Capa BMX. Put it together myself, and also bought a red chain, and put that on (first timer, admittedly). Everything on my bike seems fine, except when I stop on a certain part of my chain, I feel a click with each rotation and only feel it in my right pedal, also the chain jigs slightly on the bottom with each click. if I move the pedal the clicking stops until I reach that part of the chain again. I have no idea what could be going on.
May be a stiff link at that point in the chain. Not sure what you mean by "jigs".
Well, bounces I guess? like it's being tugged on. But the stiff link may be the case I guess. didn't do the best job connecting the links.
If you fell it at the bottom of each rotation on the right side then it may be in the right peddle not in the chain. If it happens when one part of the chain goes around the rear gear then your need to check the chain for a stiff link, but if it is a stiff link you should feel it at different points when you are riding.
Have fun and just enjoy the ride
yeah, it's when I stop the chain at a certain point. So probably a stiff link. Because I did kind of a shoddy job attaching it.
(04-04-2013, 12:45 AM)DeViNoDe Wrote:  yeah, it's when I stop the chain at a certain point. So probably a stiff link. Because I did kind of a shoddy job attaching it.

In my experience DeViNoDe, a stiff link in your chain after re-attaching it is inevitable, not a sign of a shoddy job. This will work out with time. To help it along though, work the chain back and forth laterally. It is counter-intuitive to me, the play of the chain up and down is what is stiff, but working the chain from side to side several times, as opposed to the natural up and down swivel of the chain, usually works to get rid of that stiffness.

Hope it helps...

Nate
Solving problem is easy... Take a look at the stiff link and see if the rivet is properly installed (equal distance on each side of the chain), if not put back the stiff link onto your chain breaker tool, and place it at the right position, son you doesn't feel it stiff...
[Image: FYN0LV1F4NIBAZQ.LARGE.jpg]Find the offending point in the chain, use your chain toll as shown in the picture to work (nudge) the pin just a bit to loosen that link. You may have to try both directions. That is what the center area of the tool is for.
You should sign up for the repair guide, it's only $6/month & no contract. It has neat little videos to show you how to work on stuff, chains included.
Not as good as the repair guide, but you could go here at Park Tool & get info.
(06-19-2013, 07:17 PM)natej Wrote:  In my experience DeViNoDe, a stiff link in your chain after re-attaching it is inevitable, not a sign of a shoddy job. This will work out with time.

This is wrong. It is true that it is inevitable to get a stiff link when connecting the chain, however, you should then loosen it up as shown by the pics of 1FJEF (or in the repair guide, really, take a look, the videos are great).

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

08-07-2020, 09:13 AM
Last Post: mtnbikeracer76

03-12-2011, 04:21 PM
Last Post: cyclerUK

11-03-2008, 12:22 PM
Last Post: artcat2