Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon

Avid Elixer 1 hydraulic disc rubbing now that I installed new RockShox Recon Fork
I installed a Rock Shox Recon fork on my Kona Mahuna. I currently have Avid Elixer 1 hydraulic disc brakes. I am unable to get the brakes to stop rubbing the rotors. Given the fork upgrade (upgraded from a Suntour), I also installed a new mount.

Here's what I've tried so far:

1. Loosening the calipers and centering the pads on the rotor then retightening the calipers.

2. Loosening the calipers and squeezing the brake levers to the pads grip the rotor, then retightening the calipers.

3. Inserting business cards between the pads and the rotor, squeezing the brakes a few times, then releasing and removing the business cards.

4. Inserting washers between the calipers and mount and the mount and fork.

The mechanics at my LBS, when originally installing the fork, had similar difficulties but eventually got the brakes to stop rubbing. Unfortunately, the mechanic who fixed the brake rub couldn't remember how he fixed it.

Any ideas?
lets some pics of what you have
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
take the wheel out real quick, spread the pads, put the wheel back in, and pump the brake a bit.

now that we have reset the positioning of the pads we can work on the rubbing.

this is my preferred method:
1. tighten down the bolts holding the caliper on
2. loosen both of them enough so the caliper moves
3. squeeze the brake lever
4. as the lever is squeezed, tighten - usually - the lowermost bolt of the caliper (whatever bolt would be the hardest to get to while the wheel is spinning)
5. spin the wheel
6. listen for the rubbing of the brake, and watch to see where it is rubbing
7. use your hands, BUT EXERCISE CAUTION AS THE ROTOR IS SHARP AND YOU CAN lose A FINGERTIP IF CAUGHT IN THE WRONG SPOT, and move the caliper right or left until you can no longer hear the rubbing
8. tighten the top bolt and secure the caliper in place

sometimes this is more difficult than other times, it just kind of depends on the brake.

additionally, check to see if your rotor is bent. sometimes it gets banged up and bends, but you can bend them back. just use a clean pair of pliers or something and don't contaminate it with oil or anything.
"Steel is real."
- IDK, some guy.

Possibly Related Threads...