Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Gear Adjustment problems
[attachment=4072]Hi there am new to the forum and guess what i have a problem have an old
Raleigh pioneer 21 that i cant bear to part with. Especially after some bad experience with brand new bikes anyway just put on a brand new old stock derailleur and cable connected to early shimano rapid fire shifters if i set it up to go from 1 to 7 smoothly but wont go from 7 to 1 and vice versa have a cycle haynes manual and set it up by the book and looked on internet what everway i set it up doesnt work was the same with the old derailleur thats why i relaced it
A few things to check
- Are the shifters, gears cluster, and derailleur all compatible? (i.e. all Shimano)?
- Are you using shifter specific cable housing (or at least good quality brake housing)? Cheap housing can compress which can mess up the shifting adjustment
- Is the derailleur hanger bent (This is fairly common and even a tiny bend can have exactly the effect you're mentioning)
All looks correct, as DaveM says a bent hanger can cause the issue you have. Could you post a pic taken from the back of the bike to see if it is straight?
(04-12-2013, 01:10 PM)DaveM Wrote:  A few things to check
- Are the shifters, gears cluster, and derailleur all compatible? (i.e. all Shimano)?
- Are you using shifter specific cable housing (or at least good quality brake housing)? Cheap housing can compress which can mess up the shifting adjustment
- Is the derailleur hanger bent (This is fairly common and even a tiny bend can have exactly the effect you're mentioning)

as i used old outer cable was going to try get some new ones and new cable starting to fray try that as well derailler was brand new old stock will post a pic but chain line seems straight
(04-13-2013, 03:49 AM)davepepper1 Wrote:  
(04-12-2013, 01:10 PM)DaveM Wrote:  A few things to check

as i used old outer cable was going to try get some new ones and new cable starting to fray try that as well derailler was brand new old stock will post a pic but chain line seems straight

does look slightly bent
due to angles it is still hard to say, the only way to know is to true the rear wheel and check it with a DAG tool.
One other note. the replacement derailluer was not the best choice. live and learn as they say and upgrade to at least an alivio or pm your address to me and I will give you a suitable used replacement that will work much better.
My goal would be to make the bike perform as close to a high end bike as possible. If you love the bike in my eyes its worth the extra dollars and a better derailluer will make a huge difference
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
(04-13-2013, 09:46 AM)painkiller Wrote:  due to angles it is still hard to say, the only way to know is to true the rear wheel and check it with a DAG tool.
One other note. the replacement derailluer was not the best choice. live and learn as they say and upgrade to at least an alivio or pm your address to me and I will give you a suitable used replacement that will work much better.
My goal would be to make the bike perform as close to a high end bike as possible. If you love the bike in my eyes its worth the extra dollars and a better derailluer will make a huge difference

(04-13-2013, 11:04 AM)davepepper1 Wrote:  
(04-13-2013, 09:46 AM)painkiller Wrote:  due to angles it is still hard to say, the only way to know is to true the rear wheel and check it with a DAG tool.
only got that paticular one because i wasn't sure if i could use an updated deraillur with the original shifters bearing in mind the bike is over 15 years old would rather update if poss
I understand, now you know that u can upgrade. From my experience with the lower derailluers such as that, Is to align the derailluer hanger even though correct the derailluer is so off that I actually have to align the hanger to the derailluer to make it work right or better. which should not be the case if the derailluer was of good quality. purposely mal-align a hanger to the derailluer? Mmm. Not good
If the chain is rubbing anywhere on the inside of the cage thru the pullys then you have an issue that needs addressed. I feel this could be your case as described above
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

05-14-2020, 08:14 AM
Last Post: Dany6

10-21-2015, 06:21 PM
Last Post: adolforst

09-15-2013, 03:34 PM
Last Post: Joe_W