Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Gear issue Noob needs help please!
Hi. New to the forum and looking for some help/advice.

I have been riding for last few years on a specialized mtb. I have only done very basic maintenance myself relying on LBS to do anything I deemed "too difficult". Recently I decided (after getting fed up with the cost of some of the repairs) to have a go myself.
So I have replaced the chain and cassette and new pads etc. all ok except that when I have the bike up on a stand the gears change flawlessly. However when I am riding I see an issue with shifting up a gear and the gears not shifting. If I shift up again it then changes 2 gears. I had this problem before my work and it is certainly a lot better for the new chain etc but it hasn't completely gone. I have tried tightening the cable barrel adjuster but it made no difference at all. I did try adjusting the high gear limit and low gear limit screws and no difference.

Should I admit defeat and go back to LBS? I really don't want to as I reckon I have saved over £100 doing this work myself (and that includes buying some tools)
I hope someone can help diagnose and solve the issue!!!
You've tightened the derailleur fasteners, right?
Is it a twist grip shifter? If so, I would replace it, they are very inexpensive, they come with cable, you can use your old housing. I have had a similar problem, & the internal white "pawl" that gave it the ratchet effect was broken.
Hi. Thanks for the response. I will check the fasteners tomorrow. They are not twist grip shifters. I don't know what they are called but 2 levers sit underneath the handlebar. One at the front shifts up and the one closest me shifts down.
Is your derailleur hanger propely aligned??

Cable, housing in great shape?? or rusted?

Proper tension in cable before trying to adjust derailleur??
(04-21-2013, 01:35 PM)Chimpboy74 Wrote:  Hi. New to the forum and looking for some help/advice.

I have been riding for last few years on a specialized mtb. I have only done very basic maintenance myself relying on LBS to do anything I deemed "too difficult". Recently I decided (after getting fed up with the cost of some of the repairs) to have a go myself.
So I have replaced the chain and cassette and new pads etc. all ok except that when I have the bike up on a stand the gears change flawlessly. However when I am riding I see an issue with shifting up a gear and the gears not shifting. If I shift up again it then changes 2 gears. I had this problem before my work and it is certainly a lot better for the new chain etc but it hasn't completely gone. I have tried tightening the cable barrel adjuster but it made no difference at all. I did try adjusting the high gear limit and low gear limit screws and no difference.

Should I admit defeat and go back to LBS? I really don't want to as I reckon I have saved over £100 doing this work myself (and that includes buying some tools)
I hope someone can help diagnose and solve the issue!!!

Is it inconsistent in shifting? or does it happen on certain gears in the rear? say the last 3? or mid 3? etc?

Question how old is the bike? and has the rear cable housing been replaced before along with cable? This is one possible problem especially if it's the original cables and housing.

However if it's just having problems on certain gear ranges say last 3 or mid 3.. etc and shifts fine the rest.. then it's the rear derailleur hanger is bent. You'll need the Park tool rear derailleur alignment tool and your rear wheel should be true enough to gauge the alignment of the rear derailleur hanger.
I think based on what you say it may be the hanger. It is particularly bad shifting from 2-3 and 3-4.
I think I might replace the cables anyway. LBS has only quoted £8 for this but I kind of fancy doing it myself so I know next time!

Straightening the hanger is another matter as the tool alone is £60!!
Leave the derailleur hanger alignment to your LBS, since it can break if you put too much pressure trying to align it, but you can change all calbe and housing yourself!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

01-27-2024, 08:38 AM
Last Post: Talha

12-08-2019, 08:18 AM
Last Post: CharleyFarley

02-24-2017, 12:45 PM
Last Post: Mountain