Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon

Clicking noise when pedaling
Hi,
I'm new to this site, but it seems like a fantastic group here and very informative.

I'm a fairly new rider and just bought a Trek single speed a few months ago. (sorry I'm not up-to-speed with bike lingo) During a test ride, I noticed a low pitched clicking noise when pedaling. It was more noticeable when pedaling harder. I told the mechanic about it - he looked at it and told me the sound would go away with use.

Now, the sound has only gotten worse. The clicking noise is definitely more noticeable going uphill or when pedaling harder. Standing up to pedal is definitely the worst.

I took the bike back and the mechanic eventually said he didn't know what was causing the noise and told me to wait until it gets really loud so they can identify the problem.

I was a little surprised by his response, especially since this a brand new bike, but I took the bike and looked at it myself - the only other thing I notice is that rotating the crank in reverse, there is definitely a spot where the crank becomes slightly more difficult to turn. The spot where it becomes harder to turn is not consistent. It seems like it happens about every 1.1 rotations of the crank.

I'm curious if this might a problem with the ball bearings? How can I tell?

I tried uploading a recording of the noise, but it doesn't seem to be an accepted file type. Here's a link to the recording:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g01qnl2u2c0fheg/Memo.mp3

Any input is much appreciated!

Thanks,
Chris
(04-27-2013, 07:15 PM)chrisd Wrote:  Hi,
I'm new to this site, but it seems like a fantastic group here and very informative.

I'm a fairly new rider and just bought a Trek single speed a few months ago. (sorry I'm not up-to-speed with bike lingo) During a test ride, I noticed a low pitched clicking noise when pedaling. It was more noticeable when pedaling harder. I told the mechanic about it - he looked at it and told me the sound would go away with use.

Now, the sound has only gotten worse. The clicking noise is definitely more noticeable going uphill or when pedaling harder. Standing up to pedal is definitely the worst.

I took the bike back and the mechanic eventually said he didn't know what was causing the noise and told me to wait until it gets really loud so they can identify the problem.

I was a little surprised by his response, especially since this a brand new bike, but I took the bike and looked at it myself - the only other thing I notice is that rotating the crank in reverse, there is definitely a spot where the crank becomes slightly more difficult to turn. The spot where it becomes harder to turn is not consistent. It seems like it happens about every 1.1 rotations of the crank.

I'm curious if this might a problem with the ball bearings? How can I tell?

I tried uploading a recording of the noise, but it doesn't seem to be an accepted file type. Here's a link to the recording:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g01qnl2u2c0fheg/Memo.mp3

Any input is much appreciated!

Thanks,
Chris

Sounds like the bike shop that you got it from doesn't really want to try to solve your problem even when you bought a bike from them. Or at least the mechanic sounds lazy. Have you tried talking to the Manager of the bike store? So how long ago did you actually buy the bike?
Oops just read. You got it a few months ago.
As for the problem.. It's either the bottom bracket or the pedals.. .. but my bet is that it's the bottom bracket since you mentioned about the reverse spinning having trouble sometimes. ...
Sounds like the chainring or freewheel might not be perfectly round, which causes a tight spot in the chain which would explain it getting stiff.
When pedalling backwards and it's feeling ok check how much play there is in the chain, then stop it when it gets stiff and check chain again, if chain feels tighter then that's most likely the issue. It is quite common on cheap single speed bikes but a Trek should not have this issue.

Take it back to shop again and speak to the manager, it sounds like the mechanic is trying to bulls**t his way out of getting the issue sorted properly.
Awesome - thanks guys.

As suggested, I checked the tension in the chain and there was a tight spot. I took the bike back with renewed confidence that they were just being lazy. They switched out the chain, rear sprocket and chain ring.

The problem seems to be gone, or least diminished so that it's not noticeable.

Thanks again.
(04-28-2013, 06:04 PM)chrisd Wrote:  Awesome - thanks guys.

As suggested, I checked the tension in the chain and there was a tight spot. I took the bike back with renewed confidence that they were just being lazy. They switched out the chain, rear sprocket and chain ring.

The problem seems to be gone, or least diminished so that it's not noticeable.

Thanks again.

Perseverance pays!

Possibly Related Threads...