Bicycle TutorBicycle Tutor

Show off your bike!

Related video tutorials:
Petrol poured on bicycle pump
Hey guys,

We had some spare petrol lying around the house that nobody knew what to do with, so I decided to use it to degrease my chain and sprockets.

It was a bit of a bonehead thing to do I know, but considering how quickly petrol evaporates on its own, I thought nothing of a little bit getting poured over my lovely Presta bicycle pump that was attached to the bike.

When I went to use the pump, it was jammed completely. It seems that either the inlet valve/outlet valve/both were blocked, and letting no air through. I left it to dry for 24 hours, but now air is flowing freely through the pump without any valve closing, and it won't pump any air at all.

Before I make the problem worse by guessing how to fix it, can you guys offer some advice?

Ryan.
My guess is the petrol melted the soft rubber seals, probably will need to replace the whole pump
Have fun and just enjoy the ride
Ryan - you are going to have to get a new pump.
Nigel
Thanks for the replies guys.

Just one of those mistakes you'll only make once I suppose,

Ryan.
Just for the benefit of anyone who finds this thread later, the pump wasn't ruined in the end. The petrol hadn't melted the rubber parts. I just needed to take the thing apart (remembering carefully the order in which everything went) and wipe it down and leave it dry out a bit. Now it's working fine again. Thanks again, Ryan.
That is good to hear Ryan
Have fun and just enjoy the ride