Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Cross threaded crank arm
Hi all,

I'm looking for a bit of advice, i recently treated myself to a new pedal/set of shoes, i carefully put the new pedals on making sure the right went on the right and the left on the left.

about 2 days later the right pedal has fallen off and has taken some of the crank arm thread with it.

I've taken it into a shop and they didn't say it couldn't be rethreaded but that they would advise against it(didnt give much more than that).

They've basically advised that as it's the right crank arm it comes as part of a set with the gears and will cost about £90 plus labour which i dont have spare at the moment.

Can anyone advise me if rethreading is possible/a good idea or if there is anyway of just buying the crank arm or a cheaper alternative.

Also is there anyway of gluing the pedal in place permanently?

The cranks unbranded apart from saying it's shimano 30 gears used on the CUbe XMS 2012?

Thanks in advance for any help and apologies if the info s vague or my questions stupid, i'm not very technical.

Thanks,

Matt
It's possible that you could have the threads chased, put the pedal back on and it would be fine. The shop doesn't want to recommend that because if the pedal pulled out again you could easily get hurt and there's no reliable way to say "there's still enough thread" or not.

There's no glue that will hold this well. But there is a thread replacement thing called a helicoil. I've never tried it but I've seen some done that have held up.

You may be able to find a crank arm without chainrings, but you have to make sure it is compatible with your chainrings and has a similar offset to the old crank. If you've got a little time and know what to look for, you can probably find something. But buying new it's probably easier/cheaper to just get a whole new set.
(05-23-2013, 12:16 PM)DaveM Wrote:  It's possible that you could have the threads chased, put the pedal back on and it would be fine. The shop doesn't want to recommend that because if the pedal pulled out again you could easily get hurt and there's no reliable way to say "there's still enough thread" or not.

There's no glue that will hold this well. But there is a thread replacement thing called a helicoil. I've never tried it but I've seen some done that have held up.

You may be able to find a crank arm without chainrings, but you have to make sure it is compatible with your chainrings and has a similar offset to the old crank. If you've got a little time and know what to look for, you can probably find something. But buying new it's probably easier/cheaper to just get a whole new set.

Thanks for the advice Dave, might look into the helicoil option.
I have been fixing crank arms by fitting a helicoil in, so far everyone I've done has held up nicely. I charge £20 so it's the most cost effective way if the chainset is expensive, it basically rethreads the crank arm but to a larger hole, you then have a threaded sleeve which goes on inbetween the pedal and crank arm, plenty of grease and they go on nice and tight. I would advise ringing around your local shops to see if anyone offers the same repair.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

07-19-2021, 12:00 AM
Last Post: rbx

01-18-2015, 12:16 PM
Last Post: nfmisso

10-14-2014, 04:51 PM
Last Post: Painkiller