Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Rebuilding Mountain Bike Frame
I have a 10 year old Cannondale mtn bike frame that I want to rebuild. Will the parts be available? I was told that my road bike was so old (about 10 yrs) that some of the components were no longer available. Thanks,

Most parts, even for old bikes, can be found if you're diligent enough. For a Cannondale Mountain Bike I'm guessing they should be pretty easy to find.

Are you able to upload a photo of the frame so we can help piece it together?
I am on my second winter project of rebuilding an old bike. Both have been 10+ years old. I have yet to not find a part or be able to adapt. That is part of the fun. One suggestion, look at the welds real close. Mountain bikes take a lot of stress and you want something good when you get done.

Thanks Alex. I dont have a picture right now but I will see about getting one to upload. I can tell you this.....it was my first mountain bike I ever owned and it got all beat up. So, I stripped it down to the bare frame....including taking off all the old paint. A relative works in the automobile industry and asked one of his employees who does repair work if he would mind painting the frame for me which he did. He also applied what he referred to as a "hard coat" which provides extra protection against scratching. I have always wanted to try and rebuild this thing for no other reason than to see if I can do it. And now with your website, it seems like it might be possible.

Can you suggest a good book as well? And I like your section on tools which would be needed for proper bike repair. Can we buy these from you? If I am going to spend the money, it would be great to see you benefit somehow.

Anyway, kinda long winded response. You can blame my Irish mom for that. Thanks again, maguire6
rtkegger, i am only the second owner of the frame and I don't think the first guy rode it very hard. but I will take a look at the welds. a few years ago, I did have it painted which may have covered some imperfections. I guess I would just be looking for small cracks and such, correct?

Also, since you have done some rebuilding, do you have a good book that you like? the videos on this website are awesome but I like having a book too. And as far as parts, can you recommend a good website or other place to buy them? I know about Bike nashbar but it would be nice to buy from a local place if that is possible.
Thanks, maguire6
alex, i just found your bike shop on this website. I will use this as much as I can. Thanks, maguire6

Hi Maguire,

Sounds like a fun project! The Park Blue Book is supposed to be a good basic book, while the much more expensive Sutherlands manual is the ultimate technical resource for everything you'll ever want to learn. As for online parts ordering, you can pick up almost anything from Amazon, which lists almost anything you can think of that can be purchased through Amazon. BicycleTutor gets 5% commission from these sales.

Can't wait to see the pics!
Haha.... you must have posted again while I was posting... glad you found the shop!

Fittings and things haven't really changed that much, the technology has just got better. Thinking about it, all you really need to find is a fork and stem that will fit what is possibly a slightly narrower headset; a bottom bracket (which is probably the same size as it is today and some skewers for your wheels. Everything else connects to these.

Just take some measurements (headset diameter mainly) and order some shiney parts, of which there are many really nice ones for MTB at Alex's shop (really nice range of Rock Shox forks*)
*(can we have a tutorial for those please?)
(01-25-2009, 05:31 PM)Alex Ramon Wrote:  Hi Maguire,

Sounds like a fun project! The Park Blue Book is supposed to be a good basic book, while the much more expensive Sutherlands manual is the ultimate technical resource for everything you'll ever want to learn. As for online parts ordering, you can pick up almost anything from Amazon, which lists almost anything you can think of that can be purchased through Amazon. BicycleTutor gets 5% commission from these sales.

Can't wait to see the pics!
Hmm did not know that guess you are getting rich off of me by now lol. I order a lot from Amazon.
I know you are not getting rich but it was a nice though.:-)
Here is a good book I use it.It has help me a few times.
The Bicycling Guide to Complete Bicycle Maintenance and Repair: For Road and Mountain Bikes(Expanded and Revised 5th Edition)
Todd Downs
Todd Downs (Author)
You can get it at Amazon.com
hi maguire do you know the model of the frame and can you b available to upload a photo so we can help

Possibly Related Threads...