Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Old Bikes and Frustrating Sounds
(My apologies in advance for any jargon I butcher...I am not yet a bike person) Last year I came into possession of a 12-speed Windsor bike that is at least fifteen years old. While working perfectly then, the bike now makes heavy clanking/clicking sounds whenever I pedal quickly or pedal in high gear. I cannot seem to identify exactly where the sound comes from. In one instant it sounds like it is coming from the pedals, the next it comes from the derailer area. If someone could offer some insight or direct me to some other thread that addresses this issue, I would be most thankful.
is the noise:
* once per crank (pedal) revolution?
- is it associated with the left or right pedal being close to the top (or just past which is when you apply maximum force)?
* once per wheel revolution?
* not related to anything that you can tell?
Nigel
(05-30-2013, 10:38 PM)nfmisso Wrote:  is the noise:
* once per crank (pedal) revolution?
- is it associated with the left or right pedal being close to the top (or just past which is when you apply maximum force)?
* once per wheel revolution?
* not related to anything that you can tell?

The noise does occur once per crank revolution, on both sides, at the point of maximum applied force (just as you said). Wheel revolution does not seem to be affiliated with the noise. Again, I apologize for not being more specific where the noise is coming from, though I have few people who I can ask to pedal hard on the bike whilst I listen. I do, however, feel a distinct tremor in the balls of my feet when I hear the noise.
Anyway, thank you again for your help.
Guesses in order:
1. bottom bracket bearings are loose. grab one crank are in each hand, try to move side to side - should be no play.
2. pedals. Grab crank arm and end of pedal, should be no axial or side to side play.
3. cranks not tight on BB axle. grab one crank are in each hand, try to move forward and back - should be no play.
4. chain and/or seat stays are deflecting. Get on bike, lean slightly to one side, one foot on the ground, the other on the pedal, shift your weight between the foot on the ground and the one on the pedal, while watching the relationship between the BB and the rear wheel - there should be no relative movement.
Nigel
(05-31-2013, 11:22 AM)nfmisso Wrote:  Guesses in order:
1. bottom bracket bearings are loose. grab one crank are in each hand, try to move side to side - should be no play.
2. pedals. Grab crank arm and end of pedal, should be no axial or side to side play.
3. cranks not tight on BB axle. grab one crank are in each hand, try to move forward and back - should be no play.
4. chain and/or seat stays are deflecting. Get on bike, lean slightly to one side, one foot on the ground, the other on the pedal, shift your weight between the foot on the ground and the one on the pedal, while watching the relationship between the BB and the rear wheel - there should be no relative movement.

I tested my bike as you specified, though nothing seemed out of the ordinary with the crank area. However, I happened to be rolling my bike backward when I noticed that the idler pulley (or whatever the name of the part of the derailer is that hangs lower and creates tension) was spasming and making a low clicking noise. When I ride, I notice the pulley twitching in time with the noise I hear. Any thoughts?
stiff link in chain?
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
How about some pictures? I am suspecting that your ride has multiple problem.

RD spams sound like a stiff link in the chain, but that would not be once per pedal rev.
Nigel
(06-04-2013, 07:22 PM)nfmisso Wrote:  How about some pictures? I am suspecting that your ride has multiple problem.

RD spams sound like a stiff link in the chain, but that would not be once per pedal rev.

Any particular shots I should take?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

03-19-2012, 07:09 AM
Last Post: Manglier

12-10-2010, 07:42 AM
Last Post: cyclerUK

10-01-2010, 09:28 PM