Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

How do I add a cable stop to this frame?
Hi all, my friends road bike is knackard and it's up to me to fix it. I've compeltely overhauled the bike and it's running fantastic apart from one minor, annoying little problem.

The bike used to use those horrible lever-pull shifters below the handlebars however I changed to a pair of Shimano 7-speed rapid-fire shifters with integrated brake levers and the problem now is that the frame lacks the neccesary cable stop boss, and so far I've been using duct-tape and a bunch of cable-ties however this is just not strong enough and the cable is moving when shifting the gears on the rear derailleur.

Now I know there exists clamp-on cable stops, however I can only find ones made to fit typical round-profile frames, problem is this bike has that triangle-proile shaped frame and is a whooping 17cm in circumference!

Does anyone know where I can find a cable-stop that will fit this profile frame tube? Or failing that, a strong and reliable way of stopping the cable?
pics may help
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
Ok first pic shows the inadequate way I have fixed the cable to the frame and also the circumference which is 16.5cm and not 17cm as I previously thought.
The second pic shows the frames somewhat triangular profile (is this called double-butted?).

[Image: xgg84sninkcw5yuygp.jpg]
[Image: ldq9fi3beplq9jvcd136.jpg]
Ok, so it had downtube shifters right? look for these downtube sti adapters
Not knowing where you are from, you will have to figure out where you want to get them. Update your Bio ( we are all friends Here )
and we can guide you better. Smile
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
Hi yes correct it did use downtube shifters, now I changed to handlebar rapid fire shifters. Please link me to this down tube shifter cable stop thingy. I'm from UK, will update bios now. thanks!
still a tough one for me to advise, something like these will work.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Aluminum-Down-Tube-Shifter-Cable-stops-Shimano-STI-Compatible-LEFT-RIGHT-/160937857028?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2578a4d004
pound the pavement a bit, maybe one of our UK people here can chime in.
just search for key words ( downtube cable stops, downtube sti adapter, and you will find some for sure. some may say for 1 1/8 tubes or something like that. I do not know what your tube is shaped like by your bosses, you may have to carefully grind a bit off but most any will work. If the bike had campy go campy compatible and if the bike shimano go shimano compatible
These are what you are looking for:
http://www.amazon.com/Shimano-Shift-Boss-Barrel-Stops-Silver/dp/B001GSSDCW/

note FLAT not concave.
Nigel
(06-02-2013, 01:43 PM)d3v Wrote:  I'm from UK, will update bios now. thanks!
You can tell someone is from the UK, probably England if he uses the word knackered, ever. Perhaps even someone from down under might also.
I dunno, it looks like there may be a bit of a curve to the tube there.
Haha funny observation 1FJEF.

So do you guys reckon these will do the job? http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-sti-pair-of-cable-stops/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=base&utm_campaign=uk&utm_content=Shimano-Shimano_STI_Pair_Of_Cable_Stops#more&referid=affwin&utm_source=affiliate-window&utm_medium=affiliates&utm_campaign=www.lfgss.com
yep.should be fine
excellent thank you so much guys, I'm glad I decided to take the time to ask here as I really doubt I would of ever discovered these without your link! I just ordered them, will let you know how it goes!
Always happy to serve and to protect ! your right to ride on happily ever after

Possibly Related Threads...