Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon

What type of mountain bike should I get?
I am a good rider and want to have a bike capable of doing downhill mountain biking. I also want to be able to do cross country mountain biking without buying multiple bikes. I think that the bike I would need would be in the "all mountain, duel suspension" type of bikes, but are there other categories of bikes more suitable to my needs? Also what brand and/or model bike would I be needing to get?
(07-17-2013, 02:29 PM)anderzoho Wrote:  I am a good rider and want to have a bike capable of doing downhill mountain biking. I also want to be able to do cross country mountain biking without buying multiple bikes. I think that the bike I would need would be in the "all mountain, duel suspension" type of bikes, but are there other categories of bikes more suitable to my needs? Also what brand and/or model bike would I be needing to get?

Visit all of the bicycle shops in your area, test ride some bikes. Pick the shop you like the best - treats you and other customers well - you are buying a store and service, not a bike. Explain to that store exactly what you want, then purchase a bike from you.
Nigel
Visit all of the bicycle shops in your area, test ride some bikes. Pick the shop you like the best - treats you and other customers well - you are buying a store and service, not a bike. Explain to that store exactly what you want, then purchase a bike from you.
[/quote]

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Good advice Nigel. Also do not spend too much on flashy trendy stuff. I have seen many trends die. The equipment is very reliable when set up and taken care of.

Yes budget would help, but you get much the same range at a budget you set. So Like Nigel said pick your dealer ask for a follow up tune up. Pick the best light frame, butted cro -mo type or good light aluminum, and wheels with alloy rims, good hubs, and especially stainless steel spokes or powder coated if you like color...You can always change the equipment if you out ride it. That said I am partial to Trek , blue or green.........Trek has been around for a long time.

Anyone remember the lower rear U brake? That was a must have in the 80's?

Are you still there?
Never Give Up!!!
(07-18-2013, 12:46 PM)GeorgeET Wrote:  .....
Anyone remember the lower rear U brake? That was a must have in the 80's?
My B&W GT has a U-brake mount for the rear Smile Tektro and others still make U-brakes, and Amazon lists them.
Nigel
Nope those are not the brakes I am talking about. The ones popular in 80's were mounted on the chain stay right behind the crank. They were a $50 extra. I wanted one but my budget limited me. So it turned out I did good getting a Trek 830 with upper brake......Which was sadly stolen.
Never Give Up!!!
10-4 to that PK, but do the bikes pictured still have the mounting point on chain stay. Its not the brakes so much its where they were mounted.

BTW love the no flat steel rims...:-)
Never Give Up!!!
You are missing the point PK which is that in the 80's it was a big upgrade hype must have thing to have a chain stay brake. Most manufacturers had them, very trendy. That trend died . So my point is stay with the tried and true and stay away from trendy.

BTW another MIA poster......over and out............
Never Give Up!!!
Yep 10-4 to that PK. Bikes today are more about fancy style , graphics, and fancy look alike components. The $500-$1000 , do not give the weight figure in specs , but I checked some out and they are around 30lbs unlike the under 25lbs vintage bikes of the 70-80's. That had great frames and simple but effective components. No fluff.....

Ye the $5000 graphite bikes are under 20lbs. I'd still take a nice springy steel Schwinn Paramount..........
Never Give Up!!!

Possibly Related Threads...