Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Getting what I want.
I like the Raleigh Alley Way - with it's cro-mo frame and fork; much better than any aluminum framed bike, especially with suspension.
Nigel
I really like the VSF Fahrradmanufaktur tourers - classic lines, steel frames, no suspension (well, there are some, but I'd prefer without). I am sort of skeptic of the belt drives, so please share your experience with it! I'd very likely stay with dérailleur equipped bikes, though...
(09-03-2013, 05:52 AM)Joe_W Wrote:  I really like the VSF Fahrradmanufaktur tourers - classic lines, steel frames, no suspension (well, there are some, but I'd prefer without). I am sort of skeptic of the belt drives, so please share your experience with it! I'd very likely stay with dérailleur equipped bikes, though...

Belt drives work great on Harleys and for camshaft drives in automobile engines.....same manufacturer Gates
Nigel
This is my new "used" Raleigh Alley Way as it sits today. I'm going to add a padded seat of this same style and slightly larger pedals, these are good, just a bit small. It rides very smooth and quiet. 8 speeds are great for my limited riding. My Brother and I rode last night for just about 1.5 miles and we bath were winded , but Mike , my brother had just ran 4 miles and rested about 15 minutes before riding with me. I'm doing this to regain my strength and tune up my health. Wish me luck. I will post more photos and write more as I gain knowledge about this setup. Thank you all so very much.
John
(09-03-2013, 11:28 AM)nfmisso Wrote:  
(09-03-2013, 05:52 AM)Joe_W Wrote:  I really like the VSF Fahrradmanufaktur tourers - classic lines, steel frames, no suspension (well, there are some, but I'd prefer without). I am sort of skeptic of the belt drives, so please share your experience with it! I'd very likely stay with dérailleur equipped bikes, though...

Belt drives work great on Harleys and for camshaft drives in automobile engines.....same manufacturer Gates

Nigel,
I never looked at the drive belt in that way but you are 100% correct ! I know there is one other style of belt drive with a Center Track (it's the name actually) and this link is to the company with a wealth of information on the subject. (http://www.carbondrivesystems.com/products/overview/ ). There is even an app to help you decide which type is right for you bike !
John
John;

If you are not going keep that premium saddle; please send it to me. Smile

If you are wise, you'll keep for when you dump the padded one in a couple of months.
Nigel