Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

2008 Schwinn Varsity Pick and FlipTest
Picked up this Walmart Schwinn Varsity today Just to see if I could make a profit of some sort off a dept. store schwinn. I gave $50 for it and it has only been ridden around the block a couple times. I posted it for $150 on craigslist to test the waters. I hope it sells, (for @ least $52 )
The promax dual-pivit calipers seem decent enough and brake well, the crankset is alloy w/replaceable chainrings, the wheels are true and spin nice, the cheesy parts are the seatpost, front/rear derailluer,stem,shifters. I plan to only give it a quik tune and see how it goes. I have seen other people take these bikes and do a couple upgrades and they seem happy with them. I would flat bar it myself and swap derailleurs to make it a more decent ride for me.
So what do you guys think it will sell for? What would you pay for a pristine 2008 Varsity? The original list was $244
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
24 hours in and one offer of "will I donate to a college student"
One offer "will I take $100"
one offer, "I want it, I can come next week, I am about 2 hours away. I am looking for a starter road bike and it looks nice and is in my price range"

I had it in the stand and as usual the derailleur hanger was out of alignment, and the front brake has some squeal I have to try and remove, hopefully without replacing the pads. She rides stiff as expected and is still a pretty fast bike, so far so good.
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
SOLD!! 2 days ago to a girl, perfect fit, perfect price ! she is happy I am happy. test ride was about 1 block, sold $150 she did not even try to low ball. the original owner paid about $260 and added a new seat that put him @ around $300. really, is there a moral to this story? I would flip deals like this all day long, $90 for a fluff and buff and tune-up. thats what its all about !
Looking at your pictures, if you hadn't told me, I would have thought that was a LBS Schwinn if it wasn't for the shifters. You get a lot for $250.
Ye, they sure got the making them look purty part down . The $80 Huffy Roadmaster looks good at a glance.

The 26lb weight is very good.......With the work you put in it its a good rider.
Never Give Up!!!
Yes, but that bike looks better than most box store $250 bikes I've seen. Perhaps it's the lack of plastic chain guard & nicer than usual chain rings & crankset.
The story behind how I found this bike was the funny part. I was at friends house about a year or so ago that I knew was not a cyclist, he would always poke fun at me when he asked what I was up to and I would say just working on a bike. he would laugh and say "oh another major build" ha a bike is a bike to him he knows no difference except price, not his game. I was in his pool shed one day and looked up thru the crap in the attic and noticed the word Schwinn on shiny alloy and was taken back abit and laughed at him, and said buddy whats that **** up in your attic buried looks like a walmart fake Schwinn wanna bee. He was busted. I laughed my ass off. I said thats a great place to keep a bike, don't you ride it? and then a week ago I asked him what he wanted for it and he said $50. Honestly I was not sure if I could get $50 for it and said I would take it , check it out and post it. then asked if I could pay him in a couple days or so. He said sure. I got the bike fronted to me I guess and had quite a few hits, I could have sold it 5 or 6 times at least. I gave him $60, poor guy,but thats what friends are for. Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

08-04-2021, 04:21 AM
Last Post: kamus

10-02-2014, 08:23 AM
Last Post: 1FJEF