Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Old MTB, what to upgrade for commuting?
Hello everybody, I have a 10 years old MTB, OLMO brand, nothing exceptional about it, I would like to "rehab" it and use it as commuter.

It's somewhat on the heavy side and the wheels are rusted but the pedals, chain and gear shifting groups seem to be in good shape.

How would you "thoughtfully" upgrade a bike like this to become a slightly lighter ride without spending too much? What would be the best bang for my bucks?
Well, you can't make it a way lighter bike, but you could go to street tires, especially if you are light.
Does it have a huge gel cruiser seat? How about some pictures. A new wheel set is going to set you back some $110ish + tires & tubes.
Upgrading is tricky to get good value for your money. I wouldn't focus on weight per se, it just doesn't make that big a difference.

Best place to start is tires and brake pads. Good tires will have lower rolling resistance which will make more difference than a few pounds. Same with going from knobby tread to good road tread.

You say the wheels are rusty. If it has steel rims, it may be worth getting alloy rimmed wheels (if the rest of the bike is in good shape.) They're light and brake much better. I thought Olmo's were too high end to have steel rims, but maybe not. Also bikes with steel rims usually also have junk frames and components, another argument for not sinking money into them.

I'd check the chain for stretch and if it's showing wear, get a new chain and cassette. Check cables of course.

And if it'll be a commuter, put a decent rack and bag/basket on it. It's so much nicer to carry stuff on the bike instead of in a backpack. If the handlebars are very low/aggressive, you could switch to riser bars or even some swept back bars. Much more comfortable, though it depends on how far/fast you think you'll be riding.

Not the funnest upgrades I know, but I think these will "improve your life" more than most shiny new metal bits... Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

12-06-2019, 05:39 PM
Last Post: hviz