Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the Latest Giveaway coming soon

New Crank Arms for Dura Ace Compact double?
Hello,
My wife upgraded the components on her road bike and I’m interested in using them on my road bike. Her old components are dura ace FC 7950 including crank, bb, front/rear derailer, cassette, shifters, pretty much the whole deal.
I’d really like to convert my Trek to a compact double, as it is set up as a triple.
The first problem is that the crank arms are 160’s and I need longer.
Can I purchase just the arms (say 175’s) and utilize my other parts.
Does this project seem like it will work? Other hidden problems?
Thanks,
TC
Hm. It almost never makes sense to get the crank set only. I know that you can get the chain rings w/o cranks, but the other way round? How worn is the chain and the components? You might be better off (in what you get for your money) to get an FSA or somesuch new crank set if you are not too stuck to keeping it DA only.
Good luck!
Or following Joe's line of thought, change the rings on your triple, and only put on a 34 and 50, leaving off the outer ring.
Nigel
(06-24-2013, 08:21 PM)troutcreek Wrote:  Hello,
My wife upgraded the components on her road bike and I’m interested in using them on my road bike. Her old components are dura ace FC 7950 including crank, bb, front/rear derailer, cassette, shifters, pretty much the whole deal.
I’d really like to convert my Trek to a compact double, as it is set up as a triple.
The first problem is that the crank arms are 160’s and I need longer.
Can I purchase just the arms (say 175’s) and utilize my other parts.
Does this project seem like it will work? Other hidden problems?
Thanks,
TC

Can you possibly use your current crank arms on you Trek on the crankset from your wifes bike?
(06-25-2013, 07:49 PM)Joe_W Wrote:  Hm. It almost never makes sense to get the crank set only. I know that you can get the chain rings w/o cranks, but the other way round? How worn is the chain and the components? You might be better off (in what you get for your money) to get an FSA or somesuch new crank set if you are not too stuck to keeping it DA only.
Good luck!
Thanks for the response.
The rings have around 1500 miles but have been well cared for. Maybe a new bb is in order, but they look very clean and had no issue prior. I'd consider using another cranks set that is compatible with the other DA items. What brand do you suggest?
Thanks again.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

01-21-2011, 11:37 PM
Last Post: dave_sd

02-17-2010, 10:59 AM
Last Post: Joe_W