Bicycle TutorBicycle Tutor

Show off your bike!

Noise from crankshaft spindle and pedal falls off

Related video tutorials:
mm391 Offline

Noise from crankshaft spindle and pedal falls off
Hi,

IN the last 6 months I have been getting really bad noises, creeks, clunks etc coming from somewhere around the spindle connecting to the crankshaft. Every time I put pressure down on the left hand pedal, either it or the spindle attaching to the peddle creeks, clunks real loud and the the pedal works itself loose. I have tightened it up every time and after a couple f days it becomes loose and almost falls off again. Can anyone help explain why and how I may fix it myself?

Thanks

MM
May 26, 2012 02:06 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mm391 Offline

RE: Noise from crankshaft spindle and pedal falls off
(May 26, 2012 02:06 PM)mm391 Wrote:  Hi,

IN the last 6 months I have been getting really bad noises, creeks, clunks etc coming from somewhere around the spindle connecting to the crankshaft. Every time I put pressure down on the left hand pedal, either it or the spindle attaching to the peddle creeks, clunks real loud and the the pedal works itself loose. I have tightened it up every time and after a couple f days it becomes loose and almost falls off again. Can anyone help explain why and how I may fix it myself?

Thanks

MM

Sorry actually being a bit clearer it is the square taper crank arm that comes away from the spindle. The pedal actually is fine. The bike is an Dawes XC 2.2 and the crank arm has "Truvativ" Powered by SRAM on it.
May 27, 2012 04:22 AM
JohnV Offline

Tampa. FL
The noise could be from the bottom bracket bearings needing cleaning, greasing or replacement. If the taper on the spindle and square on the crank arm look good, the crank arm falling off could be solved with some LockTite on the bolt threads as it appears that they are loosening up as you ride.

HCFR Cycling Team
Ride Safe...Ride Hard...Ride Giant
May 27, 2012 04:43 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mm391 Offline

Thanks very much. How would I clean the bottom bracket bearings?
May 27, 2012 07:15 AM
painkiller Offline
Veteran Member

Peoria, IL. USA
If it is a cartridge BB you must replace it, if your taper on your crankarm has been deformed you will have to replace it. inspect it closely.
on yours I recommend the non- hardening lock-tite and do not grease the spindle first. If it fails after that get a new crank

There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
May 27, 2012 07:25 AM
xerxes Offline
Veteran Member

Kent, UK
Most bottom brackets are sealed units now, so if it is indeed that the bearings are shot then you would replace the whole unit.

The Shimano UN54 or UN55 are good quality, fairly cheap and they last for ages: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=71369&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=Shopping&utm_name=UnitedKingdom

Having said that, creeks and clunks are often as a result of the crank arms not being on the square taper properly. Take them off, clean the square taper and the square hole in the crank arm and re-assemble: http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/crank-installation-and-removal-square-spindle-type, that might solve your problem.
May 27, 2012 07:28 AM
trevgbb Offline

West Midlands UK
crank arm falling off;
this is a persistent problem and has been raised here many times, no amount of cleaning and loctiting will prevent it happening if the square hole in the arm is at all bell mouthed.
see this post as just one example;
http://forums.bicycletutor.com/thread-4036.html
You need to assess if the noise is caused by loose or damaged bearings in the BB, or is due to the problem with the crank arm.
May 27, 2012 07:54 AM
saam89 Offline

hi people was just wondering if you could help me with this probblem im having i have have put a vid up soz about the wind you can hear the sound best right at the start

thanks for your time
Jul 23, 2012 11:19 AM
Bill Offline
Veteran Member

NY,USA
1. Check pedals first for creaking by putting pressure on them with your foot while stationary.
2. Bottom Bracket loose or needs cleaned.
3. Seat post may make a creak like that.

Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
Jul 25, 2012 09:05 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Threaded Left Crank Arm (Pedal thread) square_eyes 6 222 Sep 7, 2014 05:19 AM
Last Post: square_eyes
  Thread busted on right pedal crank zippy 35 45,911 Jun 10, 2014 09:21 AM
Last Post: emmanuelr
  Noise coming from crank dben2010 2 864 May 20, 2014 11:57 AM
Last Post: DaveM
  Wierd Noise ? CroTom 4 1,342 Dec 18, 2013 05:31 PM
Last Post: nfmisso
  Crank brothers pedal rebuild peter o'sullivan 0 796 Oct 22, 2013 05:45 AM
Last Post: peter o'sullivan
  First bike restore... pedal crank issue, see pics liveanimal 7 1,938 Oct 14, 2013 07:55 PM
  Left pedal clicks Elle 8 2,703 Aug 19, 2013 05:07 AM
Last Post: Elle
  Periodic clicking from pedal area 56kbs 4 2,877 Jun 26, 2013 11:42 AM
Last Post: JH001
  Bike Pedal Fell Off Kandles 7 15,595 Oct 2, 2012 08:34 AM
Last Post: RBurrelli
  Loose crank arm and squeaky noise goochnooch 5 4,914 Aug 15, 2012 01:27 PM