Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Slight clicking noises when wheel spins
I just got a new bike and it is making slight clicking noises per spin on the back wheel. Very methodical, like a ticking clock. I haven't had time to inspect it yet, but I've ridden bikes in the past with the same slight clicking noise. Is this normal, and how should the wheels normally sound like? Super silent except for when the rubber meets the road?
When you're coasting, there is usually a ticking sound from the rear wheel's freewheel/cassette. but when you're pedaling, there shouldn't be clicking.

A big question is does the click you're hearing happen:
- just when pedaling, just when coasting, or anytime the wheel rotates?
- does it click once per revolution of the wheel, or the pedals, or at some other pace unrelated to the speed you're going?
- is it different when your standing/sitting, pedaling hard or lightly, etc.
It's actually the same sound as coasting, or just wheeling the bike around while walking. I hear it less as I start to move faster, and if I shift to a higher/harder gear, it softens considerably. My friend's bike does the same clicking sound, but only when coasting/walking with it. When riding, no clicking sound.
(07-04-2013, 12:19 AM)silverwolf0 Wrote:  It's actually the same sound as coasting, or just wheeling the bike around while walking. I hear it less as I start to move faster, and if I shift to a higher/harder gear, it softens considerably. My friend's bike does the same clicking sound, but only when coasting/walking with it. When riding, no clicking sound.
You could check the wheel. Take the wheel off. In a silent area locate the valve stem at 6 o'clock, put some weight on the wheel & roll it little by little. When you find a spot, remember to check both at 6 & 12 o'clock.
If you're lucky it is the spokes where they cross, try a drop of tri flow. I doubt that's it. Could be inadequately tensioned spokes, in which case a skilled person should look at it.
Does the rim have eyelets, if so, check with your fingernail to see if you feel movement in the eyelet during the sound.
I had my first fall yesterday. YAY! The bike has been christened. I'm not sure but I think the bike pedals are looser now. Is there a way to make them more rigid and less spinny?
(07-04-2013, 06:55 PM)silverwolf0 Wrote:  I had my first fall yesterday. YAY! The bike has been christened. I'm not sure but I think the bike pedals are looser now. Is there a way to make them more rigid and less spinny?

You need to define "looser", "rigid", and "spinny" better. Too hard to understand what you mean.
If you have loose bearings, you may have a loose bearing cup. I have a clicking noise with the exact same symptoms. I disassembled the hub and axle and I can wiggle the cup with my finger. It should be solid. Here is a link to a diagram on Wikipedia. I'm sending the wheels back to the manufacturer for repairs. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Labeled_Bicycle_Hub_Comparison-en.svg

Good luck.
(09-01-2013, 08:48 PM)BikeOgre Wrote:  If you have loose bearings, you may have a loose bearing cup. I have a clicking noise with the exact same symptoms.
Good luck.
Yep, that's another good reason to remove the wheel & inspect.

Possibly Related Threads...