Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Advice Wanted - What frame is this?
[attachment=4275][attachment=4277][attachment=4275]Hi,
I'm a newbie to this forum, so a big hello to all!!! :-)
I recently bought a frame with the intension of restoring it into a single speed/fixie. However, I am curious as to what make the frame is. The guy I bought it off took it as a part exchange with another bike and had no clue as to the make or year of the frame. It looks to be in pretty good condition and has had a recent enough coat of paint. There are no visable serial numbers or markings? But I was hoping that someone might recognise the frame from the recess in the frame along the chainstays or the fixings along the top tube for the brake cables. It has horizontal drop outs as can be seen in the photos and I've taken a measurement between them which is 110mm if thats any help?
If anyone has any help as to how I go about finding out what it is or knows what it might be I would be very grateful! :-)

thanks!!!
MorganIRL
I would guess early '80's Japanese or Taiwanese.

What are the inner and outer diameters of the seat tube?
How much does it weigh?
Is the seat tube butted? (larger inner diameter in the middle of the tube).
Nigel
(07-04-2013, 12:14 PM)nfmisso Wrote:  I would guess early '80's Japanese or Taiwanese.

What are the inner and outer diameters of the seat tube?
How much does it weigh?
Is the seat tube butted? (larger inner diameter in the middle of the tube).

@ nfmisso: Thanks for the quick reply!

The inner seat tube = 1 inch, outer = 1 1/4inch
It weighs 2.4kg
And from looking at it the seat tube is not butted, the tube is same diameter the whole way inside. IS there anything else I can check that might help?

Thanks again!!
That is awfully thick wall tubing !! A typical seat tube with an inner diameter of 25.4mm has an outer diameter of 28.6mm (pretty close to 1 1/8 inches).

It is a low end frame (25.4mm inner diameter on the seat tube), made of hi-ten steel (or equivalent) (aka stove pipe). If it were Cr-Mo, the inner diameter would be 26.4mm or larger with a 28.6mm outer diameter.

It will build up into a fine bike - it is similar to my World Tourist (low end) http://forums.bikeride.com/thread-3216.html in that regard.

The brake cable running along the top is used by Miyata and many other Japanese 10 speeds of the early '80's. It could be a Miyata 110, it could be one of many others too.

It originally had down tube shifters - which would put it at the higher end of the bottom end bikes.
Nigel
1¼" - is this the outer diameter of the seat tube, or the outer diameter of the lug at the top of the seat tube?
Nigel
(07-06-2013, 11:12 AM)nfmisso Wrote:  1¼" - is this the outer diameter of the seat tube, or the outer diameter of the lug at the top of the seat tube?

1¼" is the outer diameter of the seat tube including the lug at the top of the seat tube. Sorry I didn't explain it correctly, I'm new to the whole bike building/rebuilding scene
(07-06-2013, 11:36 AM)MorganIRL Wrote:  1¼" is the outer diameter of the seat tube including the lug at the top of the seat tube. .....
So what is the outer diameter of the seat tube?
Nigel
(07-06-2013, 04:00 PM)nfmisso Wrote:  
(07-06-2013, 11:36 AM)MorganIRL Wrote:  1¼" is the outer diameter of the seat tube including the lug at the top of the seat tube. .....
So what is the outer diameter of the seat tube?

Its approx. 1 1/8" outer diameter tubing (not including the lug)
nothing further to add beyond post #4 above.

It is surprising that there is no serial number on the underside of the bottom bracket shell.

For further with identification, you are going to have to measure the tubes' inner diameter to within ±0.1 mm, and the outer diameter to within ±1.0mm.
Nigel
(07-07-2013, 10:18 AM)nfmisso Wrote:  nothing further to add beyond post #4 above.

It is surprising that there is no serial number on the underside of the bottom bracket shell.

For further with identification, you are going to have to measure the tubes' inner diameter to within ±0.1 mm, and the outer diameter to within ±1.0mm.

I'll get a vernier calipers and get proper measurements.
Thanks again for the help, its much appreciated
(07-07-2013, 10:18 AM)nfmisso Wrote:  nothing further to add beyond post #4 above.

Frame Dimensions:

Seat Post Outer Diameter: 28.8mm
Seat Post Inner Diameter: 25.4/25.5mm
Seat Post Outer Tube Incl. Lug: 32.6mm

Head Tube Inner Diameter: 31.0mm
Head Tube Outer Diameter incl Lug 35.1mm
Head Tube Outer Tube: 31.8mm - 32.1mm (slightly out of shape!)
Length of Head Tube: 117.6mm

Distance between drop outs: 111.2mm
Bottom Bracket Shell: 68mm
Inner Diameter of BB: 33.5mm

They are the main dimensions I think, if theres anymore specific ones you need let me know. :-)

Thanks!!
Morgan
Looks sort of like this one: http://forums.bikeride.com/thread-4626.html

Any indication that the derailleur hanger was cut off?

From the dimensions; it is most likely hi-ten steel; low end, not cro-mo. Higher end frames have larger seat post diameters (thinner tubing).

Build it up and enjoy it.
Nigel
(07-25-2013, 08:56 PM)nfmisso Wrote:  Looks sort of like this one: http://forums.bikeride.com/thread-4626.html

Any indication that the derailleur hanger was cut off?

From the dimensions; it is most likely hi-ten steel; low end, not cro-mo. Higher end frames have larger seat post diameters (thinner tubing).

Build it up and enjoy it.

Took a notion today to strip away the paint to see was there any serial numbers on the frame (plus there was a few chips & scratches so may as well do a right job of it!!......I guess this is how these projects snowball into a big project!!!) So, no serial number. I'm guessing that it is an old Univega going on some of the research I;ve been doing.
Theres no evidence of where the derailleur was/if there was, and if there was whoever cut if off did a very tidy job!
Once I had the paint off I took a closer look at the measurements, as you can see from my psot above the head tube is 31mm internal.....I thought it was a 1inch all along!! Do 1 1/8 headsets all have the same internals or do I need to specify when I'm ordering that mine is 31mm internal? thanks!
It is a 1" in headset for a 1" steerer tube fork if I am reading right
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
(07-27-2013, 09:20 AM)painkiller Wrote:  It is a 1" in headset for a 1" steerer tube fork if I am reading right
You beat me to it Smile
Nigel
Hi everyone!

I've come across this topic while looking for the way to identify a frame in google. And what a surprise! This frame looks like the one I'm looking for! But mine got a bit different measurements - inner seat tube 25,6 mm (bloody hard to find seat post for it!), outer aprox. 28mm (not sure, don't have calliper a the moment). And the dropouts are different. One text on the top tube says "triumph".. probably. Also serial number on the seat tube (left side) and "424" under bb on 12 o'clock.

[Image: vlrd.jpg]
[Image: pz0s.jpg]

Any help in identifying this set?

PS sorry for digging out this topic.
I would guess '70's; low end because of the style of attaching the drop outs to the fork and at the rear. The yellowish color in the center looks a lot like the color of a 3 speed Royce Union my dad had in the '60's. And the drop out connections are similar. The cable housing guide along the top tube is quite common for Japanese frames. 25.6 is small for a cr-mo frame, so probably "hi-ten" steel. All in all, points to a low end Japanese frame.

Kalloy offers a 25.6 seat post: http://www.amazon.com/Kalloy-Alloy-Post-25-6-350mm/dp/B005MK1GXI/
Nigel
Thanks a lot, Nigel! I'm guessing it is hi-ten, because steerer tube in fork fold after a crash. In Poland only in a few shops Accents seat post was available in this diameter.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post