Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon

Rear hydraulic brake seizing
I recently bought a Giant Seek with avid elixir 1 brakes.
I love the bike, but in the last few days the rear brake seizes.
The problem seems to be heat related. When left in the sun, (85°±) the brake won't turn. Overnight in the garage and everything's fine.
Anybody have a clue?

Thanks,
Stuart
The problem with buying a second hand bicycle that has hydraulic brakes is you never know what quality of service if any has been done to the bike. It could have incompatible fluids and even mixed types of fluids. I recommend making sure yours pads are not worn out of tolerance and flush/clean the lines. Replace with proper fluid and go from there. make sure it is bled right. If it is out of your scope of skills I recommend you take it in for service. Make sure you have no damaged lines also.
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
(07-14-2013, 05:41 PM)painkiller Wrote:  The problem with buying a second hand bicycle that has hydraulic brakes is you never know what quality of service if any has been done to the bike. It could have incompatible fluids and even mixed types of fluids. I recommend making sure yours pads are not worn out of tolerance and flush/clean the lines. Replace with proper fluid and go from there. make sure it is bled right. If it is out of your scope of skills I recommend you take it in for service. Make sure you have no damaged lines also.

It's a new bike - 2 mos. old tops
gotcha, if bought new it should go back to the shop to be repaired or replaced.
(07-14-2013, 06:21 PM)painkiller Wrote:  gotcha, if bought new it should go back to the shop to be repaired or replaced.
I would re-bleed them, Its important not to mix fluids so if you do not know whats in them i still say total flush/bleed
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
(07-14-2013, 06:21 PM)painkiller Wrote:  gotcha, if bought new it should go back to the shop to be repaired or replaced.

I agree, but the shop's in Port Charlotte, Fl. & I'm babysitting my grandkids in central Ohio for 2 more months.
10-4 to what PK said. If he brakes are locking in hot weather bleeding and replacing fluid is good. Even though you got the bike two months ago the fluid could be old and have moisture in it.
For starters I'd check the fluid level in the master cylinder it could be overfilled and the heat expands it and locks the brakes. Kind of weird but worth checking and setting it to low level.
Never Give Up!!!
(07-14-2013, 06:37 PM)GeorgeET Wrote:  10-4 to what PK said. If he brakes are locking in hot weather bleeding and replacing fluid is good. Even though you got the bike two months ago the fluid could be old and have moisture in it.
For starters I'd check the fluid level in the master cylinder it could be overfilled and the heat expands it and locks the brakes. Kind of weird but worth checking and setting it to low level.

I'll give it a shot - thanks
(07-14-2013, 08:29 PM)pls4490 Wrote:  
(07-14-2013, 06:37 PM)GeorgeET Wrote:  10-4 to what PK said. If he brakes are locking in hot weather bleeding and replacing fluid is good. Even though you got the bike two months ago the fluid could be old and have moisture in it.

one good note from george I should have made clearer, do not over fill. Hydraulic brakes are all nice when working good, but have pro's and con's like most things. Let us know what you come up with, I am sure it will take of it if done properly
(07-14-2013, 08:59 PM)painkiller Wrote:  
(07-14-2013, 08:29 PM)pls4490 Wrote:  

one good note from george I should have made clearer, do not over fill. Hydraulic brakes are all nice when working good, but have pro's and con's like most things. Let us know what you come up with, I am sure it will take of it if done properly

I'll keep you posted - Thanks
Bleeding the system did the trick -

Thanks All
(07-15-2013, 01:21 PM)pls4490 Wrote:  Bleeding the system did the trick -

Thanks All
Awesome thanks for the follow up, did you do it yourself?
(07-15-2013, 04:46 PM)painkiller Wrote:  

Thanks All

No, I'm kinda without tools & far from home - I found the instructions od SRAM's website, so I will next time -

Thanks again,
Stuart
(07-15-2013, 04:52 PM)pls4490 Wrote:  
(07-15-2013, 04:46 PM)painkiller Wrote:  

Thanks All

No, I'm kinda without tools & far from home - I found the instructions od SRAM's website, so I will next time -

Thanks again,
Stuart
That would be "on " instead of "od"

Possibly Related Threads...