Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Do chain whips come greased up?
Bought a new Sunlite sprocket remover/petal wrench, and the chain is dirty and greasy. The package is a board with 2 zip ties holding it to the board.

Noob. Never bought a chain whip new, so I'm curious. Cause it is so easy to re-package.

It's a yes/no question. Just curious. And it's not on the web.

Thanks
I would think they would usually have come out of the factory with some oil on the chain to prevent rust (they're not stainless). If the package wasn't sealed well, that oil's going to pick up dust and dirt during shipping, etc. But I've never heard of a chainwhip made by a real company with a used chain if that's what you're asking.
(07-17-2013, 07:18 AM)DaveM Wrote:  I would think they would usually have come out of the factory with some oil on the chain to prevent rust (they're not stainless). If the package wasn't sealed well, that oil's going to pick up dust and dirt during shipping, etc. But I've never heard of a chainwhip made by a real company with a used chain if that's what you're asking.

Thanks for the reply. I think you hit the nail on the head. Dark brown grease with dust and dirt.

I'm suspicious, cause I got it from amazon. For me, as a casual rider, I think I'll use the chain whip only once or twice in my lifetime. So if I zip-tie it back together, I can sell it "new", on amazon as "EastCoastBikeTools" or something, and none would be the wiser. I have sly ways of thinking and I've encountered many Cons that make me think this way. And I don't frequent LBS or bought any tools before. That's why I was curious.
I'm not going to tell you what to do. But I would describe selling a used tool as "new" more as "lying" than as "sly". YMMV
Note to self.....

Don't purchase from East Coast Bike Tools.
I am far from perfect, but I try to help people when I can. I try to live by "pay it forward" and "The ten fold rule" . look these up my friend. One must help people because they want to and expect nothing in return or do not do it at all. Do not stoop to those levels over $10
really? true colors can change if you want but take a lifetime to fade from someones memory! It is not what you take with you, but what you leave behind!
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

02-01-2011, 02:39 PM
Last Post: Mattavelli