Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon

1968 Huffy Sportsman MADE IN ENGLAND!
[attachment=4331][attachment=4330][attachment=4329][attachment=4328][attachment=4327]So I bought this baby for 50$ at an antique store. Yes, the tires are flat, and there's a bit more cancer on it than I would prefer, but it's all surface rust and nothing deep at all. I've started the dis-assembly for the purpose of clean-up and rebuild. I'm comfortable enough to refurbish pretty much everything on it, EXCEPT the Sturmey-Archer 3-speed hub and twist-grip shifter (which I believe is not stock, unless they came with this model in the late 60s. I always thought that technology didn't exist until around the mid-70s. I'm really excited about this, as it is the first men's vintage bike I've gotten my hands on for a decent price. I'm REALLY tempted to swap the SA hub out for a flip-flop and get a straight bar, but then it kind of loses the nice old English look. Any thoughts on her? Suggestions? General comments? I'm all ears...
I think you should stay close to original as you can, and it looks nice
Have fun and just enjoy the ride
I concur with Fred.

In the '60's my mom had a 3 speed twist grip shift SA hubbed Hercules. Your bike appears very similar (except hers was a ladies model and was blue); including the white grips, cranks, chain ring, seat (hers was blue and white), rear drop outs, chain guard, brake levers, etc. The front and rear fenders have that distinct Hercules shape and features.

I think that what you have is original.
Nigel
I appreciate your opinions, all! I now realize i was silly to even consider changing this bike. I've taken any surface rust off so far, and all I really need to do is put on a new chain and find a replacement cable for the twist grip. eBay is not kind with those - i think last time i checked, the cable was between 15.00 and 90.00, depending on the seller. I agree, though. This machine looks best in its original and unmolested glory!
it should accept standard cables: http://www.amazon.com/Sunlite-Gear-Cable-3Speed-60X65In/dp/B000AO5K5G/

unfortunately black....But all black cables might look good on the bike Smile
Nigel
It's like you're reading my mind, Nigel! I found a few vintage white cables at the local bike part swap meet (Seattle is good for that sort of thing!), and bought black ones as well. There's a selector rod that screws into the hub, then has a small 5-link chain attached, which is, in turn, clamped to the selector cable if using the thumb switch. the more I read about the SA twist grip, the more I'm thinking the thumb switch is the way to go. Luckily, I have one from this bike's sister that is in a greater state of disrepair. The thumb switch is period correct for the bike, so no biggie there. I will need to find some correct hand grips, but eBay should make that fairly easy to accomplish.

The rest of the bike is cleaning up nicely! The rust was very mild, and mostly located on the chrome bits. Except for a few microscopic places, it has not penetrated through the chrome. It's shaping up to be a very nice looking ride! I'm going to keep the paint as it sits; a little faded with nice patina for character. I may put a light clear-coat over it to protect the writing, but I really enjoy the classic look and feel. It's a lot like many cars I have owned. When they get repainted, they just don't feel *right*. I'll post some more pics of her as soon as I start re-assembling.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

04-26-2016, 02:46 PM
Last Post: cafilb

05-04-2011, 02:05 AM
Last Post: Bill

09-03-2010, 01:18 PM
Last Post: Robb