Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Emergency information
my wife and I have been mulling over getting medical emergency information accessories that last. In the past I've simply used bar/party/concert styled disposable wrist bands and just wrote my info on it (mostly on my kids at fairs/museums).

We were looking at something more permanent/reusable. Road ID came highly recommended from friends as a wrist band option. We've looked around a little on line for something that goes on the outside of the helmet as well that doesn't require an emergency worker to try to remove the helmet for information.

1) has anyone got a strong opinion for or against getting an etched metal or plastic information band/plate - are EMT's, etc aware of them and looking for them? Any cases where a person had one but it went unnoticed?

2) Wrist band or helmet attachment? We've considered both, but we're not overwhelmed with cash right now.

Opinions?
I like the idea of the Road ID. I also like the interactive Road ID, but it is 10$ / year + does not have as much information right available.
I usually have my wallet with me or at least a small ziploc bag with my insurance card, blood donor ID, some cash, and a piece of paper with three phone numbers: home, my wife's mobile, my parents' home; Plus the statement that the doctors are allowed to give information to those (otherwise they are not allowed to share information about my medical conditions, they would probably (with my wife), but I don't count on it).
I guess the paramedics know how to locate a wallet or somesuch... the road ID? I don't know. I don't think it is widely known in Germany.

Some thoughts:
Wristband has the definite advantage that it is going to stick to you. The helmet will be removed and probably lost (hey, plan for the worst).
(Laser) etching a little plaque (like the road ID) might be inexpensive, however the road ID provides means to fix it to a wrist band. Alternative: put the thing in the wallet.
I definitely should be getting something like this...

Ed-did:
Is that... Theobromine?
I am a proponent of Road ID. I can't spefically state cases where EMTs have bypassed looking at it, but it is right there visible and hard to miss. I have a couple of the wrist units and recommend them to all of my riding buddies. If EMTs are looking for info, I would hope the wrist would be a primary location to look. I feel it is cheap insurance and causes me no discomfort. I don't see a down side to owning them.