Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Broken Gear Shifter
So a little background. I have a Specialized Allez road bike I bought off craigslist a few months ago. I don't know very much about bikes, but I always wanted a bike so i decided it was time to buy one. It is probably about 10 years old (though I am not certain on that) and it was in pretty good shape when I bought it for $300 bucks. About 2 months ago my car broke down, and being the poor college student I am I decided to abandon motorized vehicles and commit full-time to ridding a bike.

Everything was going fine until a few weeks ago when I was ridding home from work and my right side gear shifter (the one that controls the back cassette) broke off. I decided to take it into my local REI and have it checked out. They recently called me and told me that because my back cassette is a Campagnolo brand their is no compatible gear shifter for it (my bike has 8 gears in the back and 2 in the front and they said something about spacing being an issue). The only way to getting it fixed would be to either replace the back tire, cassette, and gear shifter (which would run hundreds of dollars) or to add on a bar end shifter that would cost around 100-150 including labor. They also gave me the option of finding a used part that would be compatible with my back cassette.

I was wondering if you guys could help recommend my best course of action, and how/what used part I would even be looking for. I have looked all over the internet but I don't even seem to know what I am looking for.

Sorry if some of this info seems a little vague, I am not very knowledge able about bikes!

Any info is greatly appreciated! I love my bike, but I can't afford to buy a new one/spend hundreds of dollars repairing the bike.
REI must not have availability to Campagnolo equipment. There must be something compatible because it existed to begin with. I would go to a proper bike store and see what they say.
(08-01-2013, 05:55 PM)RBurrelli Wrote:  REI must not have availability to Campagnolo equipment. There must be something compatible because it existed to begin with. I would go to a proper bike store and see what they say.

I actually went to two other bike shops after REI, but they essentially told me the same thing that REI did, so I didn't include it in my originial thread because I thought it didn't add any pertinent information.
Post careful, concise pictures. Close-ups especially of the shifter & all writing you see on the cassette & hub. The rim & tire may help too.
I could have sworn the Allez came with a Shimano group.
You have a Campy compatible rear hub with a Campy cassette. This would use a Campy compatible shifter.
Post pics, there are a couple of guys here that can help you out. Campagnolo may intimidate your LBS.
I just went back 10 years & the Allez I saw used Shimano drive trains.
first question - broke off? do you still have the main parts? Campy stuff is supposed to be easy to rebuild, and parts are available. For rebuild - look to youtube.

found it: http://www.bikepedia.com/quickbike/BikeSpecs.aspx?Year=1998&Brand=Specialized&Model=Allez A1&Type=bike#.UfsoGRXn9y0

but it says 9 speed; previous and later years were Shimano.

This should help: http://www.campyonly.com/howto/ergo_rebuild.html
Nigel
(08-01-2013, 08:33 PM)1FJEF Wrote:  Post careful, concise pictures. Close-ups especially of the shifter & all writing you see on the cassette & hub. The rim & tire may help too.
I could have sworn the Allez came with a Shimano group.
You have a Campy compatible rear hub with a Campy cassette. This would use a Campy compatible shifter.
Post pics, there are a couple of guys here that can help you out. Campagnolo may intimidate your LBS.
I just went back 10 years & the Allez I saw used Shimano drive trains.

Here is an imgur album I have with a few pictures.

http://imgur.com/a/fgJX1

If you need anymore/any info about the bike please let me know.

Thanks again!
It is a 1998 model - only year for Campy Allez.
Nigel
not that it matters, but depending on the model of Allez, it did come in at least 2yrs. with Campy
go for these in a couple days
http://www.ebay.com/itm/campagnolo-ergopower-mirage-8speed-/251314022802?pt=US_Shifters&hash=item3a837ba992
(08-02-2013, 08:22 PM)painkiller Wrote:  not that it matters, but depending on the model of Allez, it did come in at least 2yrs. with Campy
http://www.ebay.com/itm/campagnolo-ergopower-mirage-8speed-/251314022802?pt=US_Shifters&hash=item3a837ba992
or sweet talk this guy
philadelphia.craigslist.org/bik/3937010677.html
(08-02-2013, 08:22 PM)painkiller Wrote:  not that it matters, but depending on the model of Allez, it did come in at least 2yrs. with Campy
or sweet talk this guy
philadelphia.craigslist.org/bik/3937010677.html
or this guy
oklahomacity.craigslist.org/bik/3943844865.html
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
You may be able to use an old school friction down-tube shift lever as a "temporary fix". Pull off the the down tube cable stop and if it is agreeable to having levers installed then bob's your uncle. Once you get the levers (maybe from some bike shop's scrap bin), you'll probably need to trim your cable. Your chain and rear derailleur won't know the difference. But, if you aren't sure about wrenching your own bike, keep looking for a local shop with a mechanic who understands how to keep an older bike on the road.

Possibly Related Threads...