Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Left pedal clicks
Hello to all. We just got those folding bikes and they are great. We love them. Thing is my left pedal clicks now and I can feel the vibration right into the middle of my foot which is quite irritating.The bikes are brand new but bought from a couple that never rode them. Just bought them on a whim. They had them hanging in their garage for two years without using them.

Any help would be appreciated.Thanks
Elle
Is it in the same place each time or does it happen with the pedal in a different part of the rotation?
Hi FredS here, as I can not get my old sign-on to work and have not had any luck at getting the password reset; I have started over with this sign-on.
(08-10-2013, 10:02 AM)bikemanfred Wrote:  Is it in the same place each time or does it happen with the pedal in a different part of the rotation?

It is in the same place and I feel it in the middle of the bottom of my foot. Very irritating when riding for a while.
Ok, lets try to isolate it, have you tried to just spin the pedal to see if it has a click in it, if not take the chain off not check the chain rings and spin the crank arms and fell for the click.
Hi FredS here, as I can not get my old sign-on to work and have not had any luck at getting the password reset; I have started over with this sign-on.
further investigation:

swap the left pedals between the two bikes - does the problem follow the pedal, or stay with the bike? If it follows the pedal, just purchase new pedals. More likely, it will stay with bike.

I strongly suspect that the bottom bracket bearings need adjustment.
Nigel
(08-11-2013, 12:42 AM)nfmisso Wrote:  further investigation:

swap the left pedals between the two bikes - does the problem follow the pedal, or stay with the bike? If it follows the pedal, just purchase new pedals. More likely, it will stay with bike.

Hi again. No I have not spun the pedals while off the bike but will do that. Also will try changing the pedals. Thanks for your advice. I will let you know. Might be a day or two as got some things on the go here. :-)
Elle
(08-11-2013, 08:48 AM)Elle Wrote:  
(08-11-2013, 12:42 AM)nfmisso Wrote:  further investigation:

Hi again. No I have not spun the pedals while off the bike but will do that. Also will try changing the pedals. Thanks for your advice. I will let you know. Might be a day or two as got some things on the go here. :-)
Elle

Hi again. We changed the pedals but still the same. Ended up taking it to a bike shop and they say it needs a new sprocket? It is a one piece one so they have to order it. They say that is most likely the reason it is knocking in the pedal.Hope this fixes it.
Elinor
(08-18-2013, 02:38 PM)Elle Wrote:  Hi again. We changed the pedals but still the same. Ended up taking it to a bike shop and they say it needs a new sprocket? It is a one piece one so they have to order it. They say that is most likely the reason it is knocking in the pedal.Hope this fixes it.
Elinor
Hi Elinor;

What you wrote does not make sense to me - you swapped the pedals between the two bikes, and the noise followed the bike or the pedals?

If the noise followed the bike, then the noise is not in the pedals......

Sprocket is highly unlikely. Bottom bracket is likely, if it followed the bike and did not follow the pedals.
Nigel
(08-18-2013, 06:09 PM)nfmisso Wrote:  
(08-18-2013, 02:38 PM)Elle Wrote:  Hi again. We changed the pedals but still the same. Ended up taking it to a bike shop and they say it needs a new sprocket? It is a one piece one so they have to order it. They say that is most likely the reason it is knocking in the pedal.Hope this fixes it.
Elinor
Hi Elinor;

What you wrote does not make sense to me - you swapped the pedals between the two bikes, and the noise followed the bike or the pedals?

If the noise followed the bike, then the noise is not in the pedals......

Sprocket is highly unlikely. Bottom bracket is likely, if it followed the bike and did not follow the pedals.

Well it was still knocking in the bike and I am not great at this kind of thing so had to take it to the bike shop. They told me and showed me that the sprocket was wiggly and loose.They have to replace the whole piece as it is not in separate parts like a lot of bikes. They ordered the part and said it could be the cause of the knocking but if it continues then they will look further.That is all I know really I am not a bike expert .

Possibly Related Threads...